Looking for info on 60's Hoboken Guild - Glue

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
John McKenna

Looking for info on 60's Hoboken Guild - Glue

Post by John McKenna »

I have a 1966 Guild F20 in for a restoration. Bridge re-glue, replace truss rod, and neck reset. The X-Brace is loose as well. I've removed the bridge, FB and reset the neck and I can tell that it was done using Hide glue. However; when I look inside at the braces I'd swear in one spot I see squeeze out that looks like white glue.

Can anyone with experience confirm this? I can see evidence via squeeze out that the linings and head block were glued in place with hide glue as well so it just doesn't seem to make sense that they would use white glue for the braces and hide everywhere else but I cannot deny what I see either, thought it's just a couple of little blobs of squeeze out which makes me wonder if it was improperly repaired at some point.

Best regards.
Barry Daniels

Re: Looking for info on 60's Hoboken Guild - Glue

Post by Barry Daniels »

Yeah, probably a previous repair.
MIMF Staff

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”