Which of these cedars would you use?

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Eric Knapp

Which of these cedars would you use?

Post by Eric Knapp »

Hello,

I recently was given some cedar siding boards. They are very straight grained and quarter-sawn. As you can seen in this photo, one has very tight grain and the other is much wider. They both ring very nicely when tapped. Surfaced they are 6" in width, good enough for a 3-piece guitar or a ukulele. Would you use them? Which would be your first choice?

Thanks,

-Eric
cedar-rings - 4.jpeg
Carl Dickinson

Re: Which of these cedars would you use?

Post by Carl Dickinson »

Use both. Two instruments at a time. I usually do more than one.
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Carl Dickinson wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:00 pm Use both. Two instruments at a time. I usually do more than one.
Thanks! I got enough of these boards to make 9 instruments. I have so much wood for tops now I don't think I'll ever use it up. After the two I'm working on now, which are Sitka, the next three are redwood or Douglas-Fir.

-Eric
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

Long-grain stiffness at a given thickness tracks the density pretty well, on a more or less linear basis. Stiffness goes as the cube of the thickness. Using a low density top wood, and leaving it thick enough to get the right stiffness gives the lightest top and the most sound. OTOH, top weight probably matters less on a small instrument, since the small span allows you to work the top thinner. A uke built like the small Classical guitar it is makes plenty of sound.
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

I'm getting the impression that it might not matter which one I use. I have more of the tighter grained cedar and I'll start there when I get to the batch. I have one piece of the wider grain that's only big enough for a ukulele and I might start making those at some point.

-Eric

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”