Appalachian Dulcimer with Drum Resonator

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Teresa Wiggins

Appalachian Dulcimer with Drum Resonator

Post by Teresa Wiggins »

I recently started this project and thought I'd share and update here as I went along.

I originally bought the kit on etsy that has a laser cut wood box resonator. I'm not using that part,(see bottom left of pic), only the neck part. I have an old frame drum that I found at an antique store. It's 14" dia. x 2.5" deep.
Appalachian Dulcimer project.jpg
The frets came installed. I added the mother of pearl dots and did some staining. I still need to make and secure a back and figure out how to attach it all together. It sounded great when I had it precariously held together. (I removed the strings for the staining and purchased some squeakless strings for it).

What should I name it? Drumcimer does NOT roll off the tongue nicely, :lol:
Jim McConkey

Re: Appalachian Dulcimer with Drum Resonator

Post by Jim McConkey »

Dulcidrum? Dulcirhan? There is a similar commercial instrument called the Banjomer, just with a smaller head:
https://www.juneappledulcimers.com/prod ... n-dulcimer
I play dulcimer myself, and am eager to hear how this turns out!
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Teresa Wiggins

Post by Teresa Wiggins »

How can I accurately trace the diameter of this drum? It's handmade, so I suspect it's not perfectly round, also the leather is getting in my way. Suggestions?
Teresa Wiggins

Post by Teresa Wiggins »

I believe I managed it ok. Now to figure out how to make a thin strip of wood and bend it inside the drum so the back can sit on it. I don't want to permanently attach anything to the drum in case it needs to be re-skinned (is that a word?) in the future. Not that I know how to even do that, LOL.
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

We actually have a few discussions here about replacing a head, on both drums and banjos. Having done it, it is actually pretty easy. Soak the head in water for a couple hours to fully hydrate it, stretch and tack it onto the rim, and allow to dry. The skin will shrink considerably during drying and tighten up.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Teresa Wiggins

Post by Teresa Wiggins »

Good to know, thanks!

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”