Practical need for Nitrocellulose?

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Allen Hanford

Practical need for Nitrocellulose?

Post by Allen Hanford »

I just watch the hundred-part StewMac series on finishing with nitrocellulose in cans. Is there a practical advantage to nitrocellulose or is it just a tradition thing? It looks like a giant, time-consuming hassle.

Left to my own devices, I'd shoot with a gun (I thought it was weird that they had a spray booth but were using rattle cans). I'd also use activated urethane like I was doing on motorcycles.

I could see how the type of paint they were using would make a difference on an acoustic instrument, but on the solid bodies I want to build it's hard to think it would matter.

Side note: when I was a kid I refinished a cheap acoustic with hardware -store urethane and afterward it sounded even worse 😂
Barry Daniels

Re: Practical need for Nitrocellulose?

Post by Barry Daniels »

Nitro is definitely a tradition thing, but it is also a very easy material to spray and level. The ability to burn into previous coats is an important property. But other finishes are fine if you keep the finish thin. Thick finishes are what kill tone.

SM pushes their rattle cans cause it makes good profit. Spray guns are a better way to apply finish, if you are properly setup.
MIMF Staff
Allen Hanford

Post by Allen Hanford »

You think heavy finish on a solid body instrument would have a significant effect on tone? My favorite method with metal was to use rattle cans for the color and then cover it with activated urethane. I'm sure you end up with something thicker than lacquer but it's super durable and requires very little finish work.

Of course it l's incredibly toxic, so there's that.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I don't think a heavy finish will hurt the tone of a solid body. In that situation, the only real downside of a heavy finish is they tend to chip and crack more easily than a thin finish. But if your urethane is working out well, I would be inclined to keep using it. What brand of finish are you using?
MIMF Staff

Return to “Glues and Finishes”