Please educate me on headless bass bridge/tuner hardware

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Matthew Lau

Please educate me on headless bass bridge/tuner hardware

Post by Matthew Lau »

Normally, I don't have time to go on MIMF.

However, we just had a baby boy 2? 3? days ago.
I've been going down a rabbit hole thinking about making a lighter bass for my wife...and recently came across the TalkBass thread about Steinberger, Hipshot, and the cheap chinese stuff.

Would someone mind educating me on this stuff?

Also, salute to David King.
I've seen quite a bit of his posts floating out there, and he has a solid rep.
Jim McConkey

Re: Please educate me on headless bass bridge/tuner hardware

Post by Jim McConkey »

Can't help with the bass questions, but congratulations on the new addition!
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Congratulations on the new addition Matthew!
No help on the bass hardware, except to say most of the cheaper Chinese made stuff i have used is usually of "lighter construction". I have also bought some Chinese made stuff that is good quality and still priced competitively but not uber cheap.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

What would you recommend?
JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

I ventured down a similar rabbit hole a few years back. That project has yet to make it to the starting line, but at the time I was really intrigued by ABM's 3901 single string combination bridge/tuners (and their cousins by other mfrs). Reviews of the ABM version seemed to be predominantly positive.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Dang! Expensive! Looks well made though.
Jarno Verhoeven

Post by Jarno Verhoeven »

There are also options on Aliexpress. For basses and guitars, for guitar I've tried the ones with the worm gears, pretty cheap, not great. There's also the individual ones similar to the ABM bridge, these are a bit finicky because of the mounting hardware. The hardware to screw it to the baseplate is in the way of the string which is dumb. I'd also make a baseplate which fits all 6 (or 5 or 4 if you make a bass) rather than trying to get all of them properly aligned on the instrument. This way, if you make a mistake, you can discard a bit of aluminium plate and start over.

Overall though, I think the ABM-esque tuners on Aliexpress are too expensive to take a gamble on (IMHO anyway, something like 16 euro each without shipping and duties).

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”