Bending Katalox Sides.

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Bending Katalox Sides.

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

Is Katalox difficult to bend on a Fox style bending jig? What temperature? Moist or dry?
Bryan Bear

Re: Bending Katalox Sides.

Post by Bryan Bear »

I've only used it once. I don't remember having any issues bending it but I did use Super Soft II since I didn't know what to expect. I used a bending machine with blanket but don't measure the temp. I wrap my sides in damp craft paper then seal that up in aluminum foil. When I see steam starting to leak out of the foil, I start my bending. I do the waist almost all the way down, then the upper bout, then the lower bout. Once the bouts are bent, I bring the waist all the way down. I usually let it cook for a few mins that take it through a couple cycles of cooling and heating again. I'm sure I did that with these sides and I don't remember having any issues with springback beyond what would easily get pushed into the mold. This process worked fine for my Katalox but that is only a data point of 1. . .

I will say that the katalox I worked with was brittle along the grain but that did not seem to be a factor in bending at all. I don't remember what thickness I bent at but I usually shoot for between 0.08 and 0.085 inches.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Re: Bending Katalox Sides.

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

Thanks, Bryan, that's really helpful.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”