Moving on, a chambered 5-string medium scale fretless

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Jarno Verhoeven

Moving on, a chambered 5-string medium scale fretless

Post by Jarno Verhoeven »

Figured, with the first full neck through build under my belt, to move on to a fretless, bolt-on this time.
Fretless 5 main.jpg
Medium scale, 5-string, bolt-on
Neck from meranti (keen on seeing if that works, figured I can always replace it with something sturdier), with two 5.5mm carbon tubes (carbon rods for kite building), and a trussrod.
Fingerboard TBD
Chambered body out of something (mahogany, likely as I still have some) with a spruce top.
Attachments
Fretless5_main_assembly_01MAR2024.zip
(847.91 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Jarno Verhoeven

Re: Moving on, a chambered 5-string medium scale fretless

Started the neck, using predimensioned lumber, and no laminations, so that is easy :)
It is a bit of an experiment, the meranti is VERY light so keen on finding out how it behaves. I have glued in two 5.5mm carbon tubes (kite rods), in addition to the trussrod.
Also glued on the veneer for the headstock.
Crosssection_chambering.jpg
This will be the chambering. The body is shaped like a cylinder, so it is 40mm in the middle section, going to 20mm on the sides. Ordered an Engelmann spruce top, so it will be acoustic-esque
Medium scale fretless 5 06MAR2024.zip
(985.06 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Changed the drawing somewhat, and I've added the drawings for body and neck. Will say that in these calculated fret positions, there is a bit of a rounding error in the calculations of my 3d model (max 0.044mm so, maybe not dramatic :D ).
Jarno Verhoeven

Headstock veneer
20240309_200704.jpg
Trussrod and carbon rods
20240308_223524.jpg
Thought about having them fan out, but they'd be right where the neck attachment screws would, caught that one in time few.
It helps to make a drawing of everything....
Jarno Verhoeven

Cut the baseplate with locating holes to cut the fret slots.
20240312_205204.jpg
20240312_205346.jpg
Accuracy is pretty good, the saw guide bridge with magnets I made for the little travel bass.

The wood for the fingerboard will probably delivered somewhere the end of this week.
Need to change the model for the pickup position, I had the "MusicMan Stingray" position in there, but from pictures it seems that the Gary Willis bass from Ibanez has the pickup a bit closer to the bridge, so I'll change that (and also correct it for the 32" scale, rather than 34 from the Ibanez).
Might rig something up to put string tension on it and see how the neck behaves, before building a complete bass.
Jarno Verhoeven

I had ordered the wood from Maderas Barber in Spain, came very well packed. The fingerboards were right off the bandsaw however, and one of them is pretty warped so that is a bit of a bummer.
The Engelmann Spruce top was also not sanded, but I think out of the thicknesser, pretty rough.
I assumed these items were all ready to go, but that takes a bit of work (and really not that much work, and the ebony boards were 11 euro each so, not a lot of money).
I am nearly done handplaning one of the fingerboards, and then it is on to sawing fret slots.
Jarno Verhoeven

Sawn fretslots, front and sidedots drilled. Made a "mistake" for the sidedots, it is going to be a fretless, so thought about shifting the sidedots to on the fretposition, rather than in the middle. They are aligned with the front dots now, and the fretlines will be deeper so they are visible from the side. No worries.
Also made a little test with two types of veneer for the fretlines, also ordered polystyrene, still need to try that.
20240323_210713.jpg
Will fit lines after radiusing, as the black dust from the ebony gets in the pores of the veneers.
Fernando Esteves

Post by Fernando Esteves »

Interested to listen how it will sound
Amateur luthier from Brazil.
I'm here to learn!!!
Jarno Verhoeven

Me too! I did some rough contouring of the headstock and rear of the neck, and it is uncannily light, so I am interested to see how it holds up. The fingerboard is, even after radiusing still pretty thick, so that'll help in stiffness. Oh, and I went for fretlines from a styrene sheet, felt that the veneer was to variable.
Jarno Verhoeven

Fretboard prepared, sidedots fitted, headstock routed (will need to do some repairs because of a few blown out corners, The bigger follower bit I have is not as sharp anymore, will need to give that a go on the diamond plates.
Glued on the fretboard on the neck, and started neck shaping, a very enjoyable job, who doesn't love a sharp spokeshave?
Will need to be careful, because apart from the trussrod, there are two carbon tubes buried in the neck.
20240421_210429.jpg
20240421_210418.jpg
The neck does feel considerably more substantial now, so confidence of it holding up is rising (until it drops sharply again, let's hope not :D ).
20240421_221521.jpg

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”