Catalyzed Conversion Varnish?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Kirk Dickinson

Catalyzed Conversion Varnish?

Post by Kirk Dickinson »

I am getting ready to build a zebrawood body and have been researching different finishes. I was leaning toward doing a poly finish myself. I asked my brother who dabbles in wood work what he would do.

He has an Amish friend that owns a production furniture finishing plant. We have some chairs that he did 20 years ago and the finish is still perfect with heavy use. He says that the Amish guy uses catalyzed conversion varnish. They have a high end system and spay booth and do work for several different Amish furniture shops. They set up all the jobs and spray several hours a day. I guess cleaning the gun in very critical, so they don't stop for lunch because it will clog up.

My brother thinks the Amish guy can do my body fairy cheap. Much easier to do than the furniture that they usually finish.

What are the thought here on catalyzed conversion varnish?

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”