Banjo ukulele head material

Ukulele discussions
Freeman Keller

Banjo ukulele head material

Post by Freeman Keller »

I am in the process of putting a new head on a very old banjo ukulele. I can find both goat and calf skins (and instructions for installing) - which would be preferable and why? The old head was torn and has some signatures and drawings that were done by family members - it will be kept for its history.
Simon Chadwick

Re: Banjo ukulele head material

Post by Simon Chadwick »

I have a question that perhaps should have its own discussion but it is related to this so I'll post it here.

Is it possible to repair a skin head?

I have a pair of very old tambourines whose head is made from an old vellum legal document with handwriting. One has a small (7mm) split. Can it be glued or patched?

I ask here because I wondered if this torn banjo head could be repaired to preserve its original designs on the instrument.
Jon Whitney

Post by Jon Whitney »

Goat and calf skin are both good but I think calf is a little less elastic and therefore probably better. LIke wood, skin is a natural substance and there is tremendous variability in thickness, elasticity, color, and consistency. It comes down to a matter of taste.

Simon, you should be able to CA glue a small patch of craft paper or vellum on you tambourine head with no ill effects. I haven't done this but I've read of it being done for banjos.
Wayne Brown

Post by Wayne Brown »

Freeman,
I restored a banjo uke a couple of years ago. The head needed to be replaced and it was a smaller size head than what we see today. I used a goat skin from a supplier of uke things from Texas (can't remember web site).
It worked out really well. The look of the skin was in keeping with the age of the banjo ukulele.

Return to “Ukuleles”