Roller Bridge angle vs unparallel rollers

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Bill Edison

Roller Bridge angle vs unparallel rollers

Post by Bill Edison »

Hi-

doing some maintenance on my EDS-1275 style double neck and thinking about putting a roller bridge on the 6 string side. Not sure there's any advantage to it since there is no trem arm, and the rollers are not all that parallel to the neck. Any thoughts or insight based experience would be
much appreciated!
roller-bridge-1.jpg

thanks! bill
Barry Daniels

Re: Roller Bridge angle vs unparallel rollers

Post by Barry Daniels »

You are correct that roller bridges are for vibrato/tremelos. Not really useful in your case.
MIMF Staff
Bill Edison

Post by Bill Edison »

> You are correct that roller bridges are for vibrato/tremelos. Not really useful in your case.
thanks, Barry!
Bill Edison

Post by Bill Edison »

Hmmmm...this is still gnawing away at me. So, if you have or want to install, a trem, any roller bridge under consideration should be a "Schaller" type with angled rollers parallel to the neck. Am also wondering what effect, if any, it might have on bending.

bill
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Not quite following the "angled rollers parallel to the neck" thing.

Edit: OK, I looked at it online and see they angle the rollers in case the studs are offset. I don't have any experience with this particular bridge, but the angle thing seems like a pretty minor detail. I think other Non-angled roller bridges would work just as well.
MIMF Staff
Bill Edison

Post by Bill Edison »

Hard to imagine that side-loading of the rollers would do anything but cause lots of extra friction and therefore, wear- the very thing the rollers are intended to minimize. Still- these roller bridges are not uncommon so people must be using them.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”