Great expectations

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Peter Wilcox

Great expectations

Post by Peter Wilcox »

A friend of a friend wants me to fix his guitar so it's playable. Apparently his most pressing desires are for new tuners and "can you put some varnish over the pictures to protect them (it's a family heirloom)." Oh, and fix the neck. Should be interesting. :roll:
Attachments
top.jpg
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Eric Crawford

Re: Great expectations

Post by Eric Crawford »

That looks like a challenge!
Hopefully “Playable “ is subjective and loosely defined.
JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

Please, oh please post some “after” shots when you get across the finish line (whatever that may be).
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

Peter, I did a very similar repairs years ago, except the head was somehow lost after some "sat" on the guitar. Very low tech, but the proof is in the pudding: https://www.mimf.com/old-lib/replace_peghead.htm There may be other similar repairs in the Library as well. The job at first appears far more daunting than it actually is. Give it a go!
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Hi Jim - I already did one of these a couple of years ago, and you sent me the link in that thread too. :)
https://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6172

For this one attaching the head stock is the easiest part. It had separated along the glue lines of the scarf joint and the fret board, with essentially no wood damage. I scraped off some of the remaining glue as best I could - seems much of the scarf joint didn't even have any - and shoved it back in coated with glue and clamped.

The hard part of this is going to be the action. A straight edge along the frets hits the bridge about 1/8" above the top (which has bellied up of course), so I need to decide how to fix this. It's a cheap Chinese Harmony guitar, so the less effort the better. Not going to try to reset the neck, and maybe shave the bridge and saddle some to get the action down a little. The neck is a little wavey, not too bad, and it has a square non-adjustable truss rod, so I'll just leave it alone or level a few frets if needed.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Might be a good candidate for a Bridge Doctor.
MIMF Staff
Pat Foster

Post by Pat Foster »

Barry Daniels wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:12 pm Might be a good candidate for a Bridge Doctor.
... and a Neck Doctor and a Finish Doctor. ; )
I like to start slow, then taper off.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I was going to mickey-mouse one and call it the Bridge Nurse Practitioner. :)

I had a conversation with the owner, and convinced him that although I'd make it somewhat playable, that because it's a cheap guitar, covered with sound dampening tape and pictures, and hard to fix elevated action, it would never sound good and would be better served as a wall hanger. He agreed, and said he'd probably buy a new guitar.

So I glued the headstock back on, put on some (unmatching) dye, and as good as new:
headstock-1.jpg
headstock-2.jpg
headstock-3.jpg
Pushed the bridge down by heating the top interior and exterior for a few minutes (hoping that no braces would come unglued), while putting pressure from above, and let it cool overnight, getting the fretboard pointed at the top of the bridge.
top-pressure.jpg
bridge-height.jpg
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Cleaned it up a bit, made a nut, and it's ready to go.
done-1.jpg
done-2.jpg
done-3.jpg

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”