Taylor chipped finish

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Ryan Mazzocco

Taylor chipped finish

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Hey everyone. I've got a bit of an issue with a Taylor K24ce Builders Edition I have on the bench right now. It was purchased "brand new" online at a store in another state and shipped to my local customer, who then brought it to me for a setup because he felt the action was too high. I agreed. I called Taylor and after we had a conversation they sent me out a set of shims to adjust the neck angle. I swapped them out and all is good.. until I notice some damage to the finish around the neck joint. I can't say with 100% certainty, but I believe I did this when taking the neck off. And I don't know if it happened the first or second time I took the neck off. Honestly, it looks worse in the pictures than it does under normal light, but I don't think it's something that the owner isn't going to notice. I'm pretty sure this guitar came into my shop in pristine condition, and if at all possible, I want it to leave that way as well.
So, here's what's going on... On the treble side of the fretboard there are two small spots where it appears the finish "lifted." It's still all there and none of it seems to be missing or chipped out, but it created this sort of discoloration. My first thought was to wick in some water thin CA, but I'm not sure if that will make it disappear or just permanently ruin it. The other picture shows where a small piece did chip out on the binding. again, I could drop fill this with CA, but I am very concerned about the color not matching. I think this area will show lighter than the undamaged area.
I've pulled plenty of Taylor necks with no problems and I never anticipated this even being a thing, but here we are. This is a brand new $5500 instrument and I have damaged it. More so, I fear also damaging my relationship with my customer as well as my reputation. I'm feeling sick over this. What do I do to make this right?
Thanks!
Ryan
Attachments
20211116_164653.jpg
20211116_164646.jpg
Peter Wilcox

Re: Taylor chipped finish

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I feel for you Ryan, and have no suggestions for repair, being a "practice on scrap" kind of guy (which is not possible in your case.) But I'm not convinced this was your fault. I've no hands on experience with these Taylor necks, but I'd think It should have been easy to get the neck out with no damage, unless the neck was wedged very tightly along the sides of the pocket and some of the finish had become partially stuck to it. Did it seem to be wedged in there too tightly?
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Peter, thanks for that. yes it was snug, more than I was expecting based on previous experiences, but I also didn't feel i had to force it out. you may be right though.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Taylor uses poly for finish and the appropriate repair material is CA glue. The best CA glue for this in my opinion is Glu-Boost Fill and Finish. The thin type will wick under the chip and may completely make the loose blister disappear. Build up any low areas and cure with just a quick shot of their accelerator. After curing, scrape with a hook turned razor blade and then final level with Tolecut sandpaper and their hard rubber backing block. These materials are game changing and will take your finish repair to the next level.

https://gluboost.com/product/fill-n-fin ... ess-lines/

https://www.amazon.com/Tolecut-Starter- ... B001I9UNWC
MIMF Staff
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Hi Barry. Yes, I use gluboost all the time and I love it. had this been a "regular" guitar I would have just moved forward with it. but with the value of the guitar and it being brand new and the customer is pretty particular; I really needed to get some perspective. I'm pretty good with gluboost, so the fact that that's your answer is extremely reassuring. Over the last few years I've successfully built up a reputation of being "the guy" in our town, I take pride in my work amd want the customers to be happy. If my work is sloppy it also affects the reputation of the store where I work.
Thanks!
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Ryan, have you used Tolecut sandpaper? It is, perhaps, a bigger game changer than the Glu-Boost. Leveling the glue fill with the surrounding finish, without causing depressions in the finish, is what it's all about. Occasionally, I can get a finish fill to almost be undetectable.
MIMF Staff
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

I have not. but at your recommendation I absolutely will! Thank you
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Update: I overreacted and everything worked out fine. Thanks everyone!
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Pictures?
MIMF Staff
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Yeah, don’t leave us hanging! I mean, I’m glad it worked out for you but tell us how it all went down.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”