Really bugged

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Paul Breen

Really bugged

Post by Paul Breen »

I took this mandolin in for repairs and... er... um, a good cleaning.

Never had anything like this cross my bench before, the little Black dots and streaks are bug excrement. The mandolin had been hanging on a wall unused for some time and was brought to me to make ready to sell. Structurally, in pretty good shape but wow, what a mess both on and in it. The original case was just as bad and had been stored apart from the mandolin in a closet. There where still roaches in it when I looked inside but not for long, I gave them a bath in Permethrin for fabrics, followed a good vacuuming. I informed the owner about their bug problem and they have since been dealing with it. Pics tell the story...
front.jpg
Headstock.jpg
headstock rear.jpg
The interior is a graveyard for dead bugs and empty egg sacks. I had to put a bunch of small screws inside and shake the mandolin to knock them loose. I am not really prone to queasiness but this was pushing my limits.
inside view.jpg
I believe that is a dead stink bug all the way to the right. Must have taken a wrong turn somewhere along the line.

The mandolin is now all cleaned up now. Thank goodness for rubber gloves...
Bryan Bear

Re: Really bugged

Post by Bryan Bear »

Yikes!
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

A few years ago I restored a Martin that had mold growing inside. I cleaned it up initially using a glove bag to contain all the grossness.
MIMF Staff
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Oh that's nasty! I once worked on an old Gibson B-15 that had some sort of bird or something living in it. There was a full on nest and just all kinds of nasty stuff all in there.
I have a J-50 in right now that the first thing I had to do was clean out all the mouse turds.
Allyson Brown

Post by Allyson Brown »

Wall storing instruments uncovered is not the best option for long term storage. That mandolin really needs a good clean up.
Glenn Howland

Post by Glenn Howland »

Many years ago, in the middle of a northeastern winter, I bought a used S. Yairi dreadnought with a hardshell case. Everything looked great. I brought it inside, let it warm up and was fooling around on it when I noticed there were fleas starting to land on my arm. The guitar had fleas.

The case was jumping with them. I took the case outdoors and left it on the porch and then cleaned up the guitar as best as I could (I think it may have involved Lysol). The next day I bought a couple of flea bombs and set one loose inside the closed case (outdoors on the porch). I think the other I put right inside the guitar and closed it in a large leaf bag. No more fleas.

I suppose a prior owner had a dog who liked to curl up in the open case. . .
"Shut up, Dear" she explained.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”