Black Paint Repair

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Thomas Wentzel

Black Paint Repair

Post by Thomas Wentzel »

Greetings all, I've usually shied away from finish repair, since I don't have the essential tools nor the skill set required to do a decent job on a vintage guitar of any value.
Recently, I've acquired a '30s jumbo acoustic flat top by the Oscar Schmidt Co., branded 'Keystone State' (Weymann). It came with some old repairs one of which is a poorly planned and executed back crack repair (solid birch back). The crack was just slathered with what appears to be epoxy, and let to dry. I would like to give the back a much more presentable appearance.

I've managed to scrape most of the epoxy off, and am now considering doing the paint work myself .. I think, because black is easier to work with than a translucent finish. Being a minimalist, I don't want to refin the entire back. So anyone with experience with this?

My question is can anyone with experience outline a procedure for this job? I don't have spray equipment but could source paint in spray cans. I have micro-mesh sanding/buffing materials, including a large arbor buffer.

Check the pic .. it looks worse that in real life ;-) The pic is the early part of scraping. I have the bulk of the epoxy removed now with a scraper...some bare wood exposed.

Thanks .. Tom
Attachments
IMG_6064.jpg
Barry Daniels

Re: Black Paint Repair

Post by Barry Daniels »

That is a mess. There is no way I would try a patch job. I would take the entire back down to bare wood and refinish it.
MIMF Staff
Thomas Wentzel

Post by Thomas Wentzel »

Thanks, Barry, it might come to that .. probably easier in the bigger picture. Here's where I'm at... the crack is raised a bit higher than the rest of the top, so my scraper took that down a bit. Still about an inch of thin epoxy on each side of the bare spot.
Attachments
IMG_6068.jpg
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

That photo certainly looks better. You may be able to do a spot repair with the right materials and skills. I would assume that the original finish is nitro lacquer but you should confirm that. If so, then use some black lacquer and feather it in.
MIMF Staff

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”