Repair sunken f-holes?

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Chris Long

Repair sunken f-holes?

Post by Chris Long »

Hi All-

I'm working on a '64 Harmony Broadway archtop. It's in generally good shape, but the f-holes have sunken and I'd like to flatten/coax them back to where they once were. The outboard/lateral sides of the holes are where the sinking has occurred--the center of the top (between the braces) is fine. The top is made of maple, not ply. It's very difficult to get a decent photo of.

Any ideas or tips are appreciated. Moisture? Warmth? Weight? I'm not in a hurry, so gentle and gradual is what I'm thinking.

It's mostly a cosmetic thing, I know, but I'd like to get it looking as nice as possible. Thanks!

Chris
Chris Vallillo

Re: Repair sunken f-holes?

Post by Chris Vallillo »

IMG_7156.jpg
IMG_7159.jpg
I recently restored a Kay arch top that had been made for Sears and Roebuck. Most arch tops I've seen generally have some sort of support beneath the F holes, usually a thin plywood or spruce template that matches the cut out and re-enforces the area to prevent warpage. This guitar didn't have that and as a result, the sections around the f holes was seriously warped and out of shape. I assumed it would be a real write off!

I was able to take some spruce top scraps and roughly cut them to shape and re-create these re-enforcement pieces. I gently clamped the area for several days to re-establish the original contour. A combination of warmth, light moisture and time all work to your advantage here. After the top adjusted, I glued them inside, behind the F holes (tricky!), gently clamping them into place. I was amazed at how much of the top warp I was able to remove.

Ultimately, I was able to bring back most of the original top curve and make it a playable instrument.
Attachments
IMG_7738.JPG
Chris Long

Post by Chris Long »

Wonderful! That's exactly what I'm talking about. And mine does not have the reinforcement around the holes, either--I have that on a Harmony-made Silvertone archtop but not this one. I will proceed as you did, then, slowly and gently, then reinforce the holes. Going into this I am skeptical about how well it'll work, but looking at your work, I am very encouraged.

Thank you so much, Chris!
Chris Long

Post by Chris Long »

Chris, is that an original pick guard, or did you fabricate it? Looks great, mines missing.
Also -- LOVE the design in the floor!! :)
Chris Long

Post by Chris Long »

My solution. The de-warping is coming along nicely.
Harmony Broadway interior.jpg
Harmony Broadway exterior.jpg
Chris Vallillo

Post by Chris Vallillo »

Sorry, I missed the rest of this post. Your solution looks great! Did you also glue in re-enforcement inside as well?

Re the pickguard, it's a modern replacement from Ebay. Here's a similar one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tortoise-Archt ... 4dc6b822ea

And finally, the pattern of the floor is original to the house, built in 1908. walnut, Oak, maple and maybe cherry.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”