Cort SFX E NS Loose neck joint

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Keith Howell

Cort SFX E NS Loose neck joint

Post by Keith Howell »

I have a Cort SFX E NS with a loose neck joint in for repair.

It seemed the glue on the dovetail joint had failed and the neck was only being held in by the fretboard extension glue onto the sound board.
However heating and getting the fretboard to release from the soundboard still wont let me push out the neck from the dovetail. While the neck is far more loose it will not move vertically.

Any suggestions on what could be holding it in place? When wiggling it I get vague sounds of metal. I cant see or feel any bolts/screws going through the neck block into the dovetail. It also has a substantial block glued under the soundboard reminiscent of Trevor Gores neck attachment method.

I am reluctant to apply excessive pressure upward on the foot of the neck and hence break something.

https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?it_id=159
Carl Dickinson

Re: Cort SFX E NS Loose neck joint

Post by Carl Dickinson »

It doesn't sound like a dovetail. Doweled butt joint possibly? Slide a feeler gauge into the joint to see if you can determine what's there. Use a magnet to check for metal. I've cut necks off with an oscillating tool and made a bolt on neck joint to fix them.
Keith Howell

Post by Keith Howell »

We managed to press the neck out. (Very Gently)

It was indeed a dovetail. The glue had failed on one side and the dovetail had been broken off on the other. The broken wood in the mortise was stopping the neck sliding up.

It is now being repaired with a double tenon bolt on.

The dovetail was very badly done and the truss rod is 2mm off centre as well. Not Corts best work.
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Thanks for the follow through too!

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”