Clamping shattered mando w/ repurposed wiper blade

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Harmon Gladding

Clamping shattered mando w/ repurposed wiper blade

Post by Harmon Gladding »

0412222325~2.jpg
Barry Daniels

Re: Clamping shattered mando w/ repurposed wiper blade

Post by Barry Daniels »

I admire the creativity here but I don't see the parts lining up very well. I think you would be better off making a curved piece of wood that becomes a short section of an interior form. Place the parts in there in the proper position and place a flexible plastic caul (like a piece of 1/8" plexiglass) on top and then get some serious clamping force to make the pieces flush out.
MIMF Staff
Harmon Gladding

Post by Harmon Gladding »

Thanks, Barry. I like the plexiglass idea, which would maintain visibility.
JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

Frank Ford’s website has a great little article titled “A Broken Banjo Peghead” that you should see - the pictures say it all. Google will get you there.

With that said, it’s always bothered me to toss out the spring steel part of broken wipers. Thanks for the great reuse idea.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi JC,
I've thought about using the metal parts for bar frets. I think they are some sort of stainless and remind me of the frets you see on concert zithers.
Hi Harmon,
Interesting idea of using them for clamps - how did you get them to bend into circles?
Phil DiVuolo

Post by Phil DiVuolo »

I use a similar idea fir clamps by cutting PVC into 1 1/2” - 2” wide sections then making a slit into the pipe. The slit allows the PVC to open and applies pressure to the joint. You can use any appropriate diameter PVC. 3 and 4” seems to work well.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”