My finished hurdy gurdy

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Michael Cyr

My finished hurdy gurdy

Post by Michael Cyr »

Here are some pics of the finished unit. I used free plans from the internet but changed most everything to make it my own. I looked at a lot of you tube stuff and professional builders to try and get an idea of how to build this. I wasn't aware of this site until after i built it so i had to study pictures and do the best i can. Wish i found this site earlier.
hg-end.JPG
hg-side-1.JPG
hg-side-3.JPG
hg-ba.JPG
hg-close up.JPG
I glued a strip of mahogany into the back and then carried up the end and tail piece and lid cover. I didn't want to make the tangents with the traditional wooden peg pushed into the key so i decided to glue a brass pipe to a strip of cherry and attached it to the keys with a 4/40 cap head screw.
I do have pics of them but i seam to have reached a limit on posting pics or it froze on me.
Peter Wilcox

Re: My finished hurdy gurdy

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Beautiful job.

You can only attach 4 or 5 pics per post. Just post reply when one maxes out on pics, and start another reply to post more pics.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Michael Cyr

Post by Michael Cyr »

Thanks Peter for the info.
tangent stock.JPG
hg end key.JPG
I originally left the tangent wood as seen in the picture thinking it mimics the metal tangents i see on the more modern models but it quickly became evident it will not fit well on the upper keys so i removed all of them and sanded them more into a point.
hg-keys.JPG
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Wow, beautiful job. The complexity alone puts this project out of my reach. Well done!
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”