What?

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Peter Wilcox

What?

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I was gifted the body of a sanshin and a set of concert ukulele strings, so made an instrument to fit. The body is an open center wooden framework with python skin stretched over it, so is sort of banjo-like with a bridge sitting on it. A proper neck is long, fretless with 3 strings - since mine had no neck, I thought I'd make a fretted 16" scale one to fit the strings (and that I might be able to play). Everything made from leftovers. Strummed it has a harsh tinny rather unpleasant tone, but plucked has a nice oriental twang.
what1.jpg
what2.jpg
what3.jpg
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Karl Wicklund

Re: What?

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Cool. But I'm full of questions: Did the same person gift you both elements? With the idea you'd make an instrument out of it? Or just because they know you build? Or were they seperate gifts that you put together on impulse? Any which way, this is an intriguing piece. I like it.
Kaptain Karl
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

The body was from my dental hygienist, that she got at a yard sale, who knows I build instruments. She bought it because she thought it was pretty, and found out it was from an instrument, but didn't know what kind. The strings were from a 96 year old auto harp player whose harps I tune for her (she's almost blind), given to me in appreciation. The main reason I made it with a short fretted neck was so I might be able to play it, like a uke (which I don't play), but the tuning is basically the same as the first four strings on a guitar.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Love it.
Kaptain Karl
Teresa Wiggins

Post by Teresa Wiggins »

Very cool.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”