Daughter looking for violin-family luthier school

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.
Eric Knapp

Daughter looking for violin-family luthier school

Post by Eric Knapp »

Hello,

My music-major daughter is really interested in making violins and violas, and maybe cellos. Her interest has advanced to the point where we are starting to search for schools for it. What's out there and what is recommended by you all?

Many thanks,

-Eric
JC Whitney

Re: Daughter looking for violin-family luthier school

Post by JC Whitney »

If she's considering full-time study you might want to talk to the North Bennett Street School in Boston, founded back in the late 1800s. Very, very hands-on. They have a three year violin family program, during which students build six violins and a viola.
... and it shares its hometown with Berklee, the New England Conservatory, and the BSO to boot.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

The Summer violin making course is starting up again at the University of New Hampshire this summer, or so I'm told. This was started many years ago by Dr. Karl Roy, who was the Head Master at the German school at Mittenwald. He passed on several years back, but his students maintained it until the pandemic shut it down.

There used to be violin schools in Chicago and Salt Lake City, but I've been out of touch with that scene for some time. The North Bennet St. program has been quite good. In all such things much depends on who's teaching. I can do some checking around with some of the regular violin makers if you'd like.
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Chicago School of Violin Making (my SIL's sister used to teach there).
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Thanks, we're going to look into these places. The Chicago school is only 2 hours from us. I curious about the difference in tuition between the Chicago school and the North Bennett Street School. The NBSS is a lot less expensive. Do they have a large endowment fund or something? Both of the programs seem very good.

-Eric
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

My friend says the Chicago school is about $35k for 3 years and North Bennett is $26k for 1 year. She also says CSVM has two Gold winning instructors (but I'm not sure what that means).
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Charlie Schultz wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:57 pm My friend says the Chicago school is about $35k for 3 years and North Bennett is $26k for 1 year. She also says CSVM has two Gold winning instructors (but I'm not sure what that means).
Whoops! I got that backwards. The Chicago School is about $35k and the North Bennett is $78k. Since Chicago is only a couple of hours from us I think a visit is the next step. We'll probably do that during the coming summer.

Thanks,

-Eric
Christ Kacoyannakis

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

I used to live very close to the Chicago School, when I was in Chicago (it is actually in Skokie, which is better). I brought my lawnmower for repair to a place right next door, and I saw the sign on the door. I was not involved in lutherie back then, so I never knocked. It is a humble looking building in a light industrial zone, so don't be put off by that. It is what is inside, and what they teach that counts. Also, being in Skokie, as opposed to Chicago means that finding a place to live and getting there will not be so involved. Downtown Chicago would be expensive, and commuting from a less expensive suburb would be a hassle. The North Bennet Street School is in Boston proper, and you couldn't possibly afford to live anywhere close at a reasonable amount, so it would be a T ride (that is what they call the subway up there) for sure. Don't even think about trying to drive and park in that area. Just food for thought regarding the practicalities of attending either school. Best of luck to your daughter.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

'Gold Winning' in this context probably means medalists in one of the violin competitions, such as the Triennial in Cremona or the annual Violin Society of America. There are probably others I'm not as aware of. Cremona is probably more prestigious, but neither is a walk in the park. FWIW, North Bennet St. has had at last one master, Marilynn Wallin, who was 'hors de concourse' at the VSA, having won gold three times. I don't know if she's still there, though.
Allyson Brown

Post by Allyson Brown »

She must really like music to study how to make violins.
Eric Knapp wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:29 pm Hello,

My music-major daughter is really interested in making violins and violas, and maybe cellos. Her interest has advanced to the point where we are starting to search for schools for it. What's out there and what is recommended by you all?

Many thanks,

-Eric

Return to “Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows”