Electric Viola Build - Starting to come together

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.
Eric Knapp

Electric Viola Build - Starting to come together

Post by Eric Knapp »

Hello,

I have enough pieces of the puzzle that I can set it up like this. Making this up as I go is a bit nerve-wracking. Seeing like this makes me think I might pull this off.
gnome-02.jpg
Even the shop gnome seems to approve.
gnome-01.jpg
On to the head, I'm not doing a traditional scroll, just something that will hold together and not look too ugly. I'm thinking of this as more of a prototype/first build where I'm using decent material. The body is a single piece of very hard maple. The fingerboard is some kind of ebony, maybe Macassar. The tailpiece is a different ebony of some sort. The bridge is maple and is roughly shaped at this point. I'm not sure what else I'll do with it.

-Eric
JC Whitney

Re: Electric Viola Build - Starting to come together

Post by JC Whitney »

"Fascinating", to quote your little supervisor's slightly more famous cousin.
What are you planning to use for a pickup?
Eric Knapp

Re: Electric Viola Build - Starting to come together

Post by Eric Knapp »

JC Whitney wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:23 am "Fascinating", to quote your little supervisor's slightly more famous cousin.
What are you planning to use for a pickup?
I am going to try a piezo pickup from StewMac first. I have a preamp I made that should work with it. This is definitely an experiment and we’ll see how it goes.

-Eric

Return to “Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows”