Electric Viola Build - Tailpiece

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.
Eric Knapp

Electric Viola Build - Tailpiece

Post by Eric Knapp »

Hello,

With my daughter home from college we have been slowly working on the 5-string electric viola for her. She is a music major and plays viola in the orchestra. I have no idea what I'm doing and it's a great learning project. Here's the tailpiece I made based on measuring her's and some online photos. The shaping is done but not the sanding.
tailpiece-01.jpg
tailpiece-02.jpg
The wood is some sort of ebony I got a long time ago. I have the fingerboard made too but no photos yet. I have a piezo pickup designed to go under an acoustic guitar's saddle I'm going to attempt to adapt to this.

I am very slowly working my way to finally making instruments. I know I'm one of those wannabes who hang out with you actual luthiers. I am hoping to change that soon.

-Eric
Barry Daniels

Re: Electric Viola Build - Tailpiece

Post by Barry Daniels »

That looks perfect, Eric. And I love the grain in that piece.
MIMF Staff
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Barry Daniels wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:14 pm That looks perfect, Eric. And I love the grain in that piece.
Thank you, Barry. Here's the latest on that tailpiece. It is polished up a bit and the grain is fabulous.
bridge-string-01.jpg
I have done string inlay in my general woodworking and was able to use the same homemade tools for this. That piece of curved ebony was already the exact correct radius. It was left over from when I was making my first rosette. I love it when things like that happen.
bridge-string-02.jpg
The only difference between this and string inlay is this won’t be flush. After it’s glued it will be trimmed and shaped with a rounded top.
My daughter and I are getting excited by the progress. I hope it actually works and makes a sound. :D

-Eric
Attachments
bridge-string-03.jpg
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

that looks great Eric.
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Bob Francis wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:19 am that looks great Eric.
Thank you, Bob. It’s fun and sometimes stressful to make something for someone close to you with high standards.

-Eric
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I was sitting here looking at the tailpiece again. And I had a thought; from a geometric standpoint, shouldn't the holes on the outside edges be spaced a little farther apart in order to keep equidistant string spacing.
MIMF Staff
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Barry Daniels wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:24 pm I was sitting here looking at the tailpiece again. And I had a thought; from a geometric standpoint, shouldn't the holes on the outside edges be spaced a little farther apart in order to keep equidistant string spacing.
Good observation. They are a little farther apart but I’m not sure of the exact needed spacing. Fortunately, the actual string spacing is determined by the bridge, not the tailpiece. This is a learning project and I’m learning a ton. This is a solid-body electric viola so I have more leeway in the design. I have to satisfy a classical acoustic viola player with the feel. I just hope it makes some sound, too.

-Eric

Return to “Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows”