books on violin bow construction

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.
Matt Atkinson

books on violin bow construction

Post by Matt Atkinson »

Anyone have a book on how to make a violin bow? I'm not finding much.
Bob Gramann

Re: books on violin bow construction

Post by Bob Gramann »

I just got one “How to Make a Violin Bow” by Frank V Henderson. I bought it from a maker who’s selling out his library. Abebooks has a copy for $200. I haven’t opened this one yet and don’t plan to make a bow anytime in the near future. Maybe I could loan it to you?
Matt Atkinson

Post by Matt Atkinson »

Thanks, Bob. That's very generous. I am just starting a fiddle so it will be a while before I get to making a bow. I'll definitely let you know!
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

When you get there, pop me a private message or an email (you can find my address on my website) and remind me of this conversation and your need for the book. I won’t remember this conversation. I started my fiddle about 10 years ago. I’ve carved the outside of one plate and made the ribs. I only work on it when my guitar business is slow. I’m not complaining but it may be a long time before I finish this fiddle.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

If the book is no longer under copyright could you make a PDF of it? I wouldn't mind having a digital copy of it if it was available.

A quick check shows a publication date of 1977, so scratch that.
David King

Post by David King »

In the meanwhile my friend Ken Altman has some really nice pictorial descriptions of various aspects of bow making on his website altmanbows.com . It's not everything you need to know but it shows a lot of the steps in the process. As an aside I remember him telling me that a bow maker of the French school was expected to be able to complete a bow from start to finish in 24 hours of labor.
Ralph Geary

Post by Ralph Geary »

Try doing a search for a book called "A bow on the couch" by Andreas Grutter. While not a how-to book, I found it a fascinating discussion of the factors contributing to the tone and quality of different types of bows (including how to properly orient the grain on your blank). I have a pdf I found on line, but I don't recall where.
David King

Post by David King »

It seems like a lot would be dependent on the piece of wood you started with and I imagine how you deal with it is what you learn after making a few dozen or hundred of them. I guess that's just like everything else in this silly business we got stuck in.

Return to “Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows”