Digeridoo-Bro and Steel from reclaimed parts

Opens April 1st!
Dan Phillips

Digeridoo-Bro and Steel from reclaimed parts

Post by Dan Phillips »

I will be posting pics of practice dobro on a triangular aluminum body ( Digeridoo like tube) when I get the pics down to size. This pic is not the entry as it was my first attempt at building an instrument and is a "quiet" practice Dobro made entirely of junk parts 2 years ago. I was trying to lose weight and learn to play the Dobro at the same time so this was made to be mounted on my exercise bike. It now hangs on the wall of my workshop. :lol:
Attachments
dig 022_crop.jpg
Dan Phillips

Re: Digeridoo-Bro and Steel from reclaimed parts

Post by Dan Phillips »

Finally got the pics reduced to 150k. My entry is a Didgeridoo-Bro & Steel built from reclaimed materials. This is a "quiet"practice Dobro with a long hollow body and sounds like a hybrid between a Digeridoo and a Dobro. Construction pics are posted. Total cost was $11.54-- $2 for parts from a thrift store and 9.54 for economy 3-on -plate tuners from Stewmac.

The final pics of the finished product will be posted in the next post because I have hit the limit on pics in this one.
Attachments
The only change to the body was a hole cut to hold the resonator.
The only change to the body was a hole cut to hold the resonator.
The resonator parts are a small pet dish and the spider is a steel plate with a dogwood saddle.
The resonator parts are a small pet dish and the spider is a steel plate with a dogwood saddle.
The assembled resonator is held together by a screw which also "loads the cone". The tailpiece was bent from a scrap piece of stainless steel. The handrest is a large drawer pull.
The assembled resonator is held together by a screw which also "loads the cone". The tailpiece was bent from a scrap piece of stainless steel. The handrest is a large drawer pull.
The peghead was reclaimed from the scrap wood box. it was a first attempt to cut a slotted peghead only partially through & all the mistakes were retained. The nut is a very hard piece of Mesquite that was intended for cooking.
The peghead was reclaimed from the scrap wood box. it was a first attempt to cut a slotted peghead only partially through & all the mistakes were retained. The nut is a very hard piece of Mesquite that was intended for cooking.
You need a Steel to play it. This one was a 5/8" stainless steel bolt & a scrap of Deodar Cedar. The fret board is heavy paper & ink. The strings were reclaimed from string changes.
You need a Steel to play it. This one was a 5/8" stainless steel bolt & a scrap of Deodar Cedar. The fret board is heavy paper & ink. The strings were reclaimed from string changes.
Dan Phillips

Post by Dan Phillips »

Here are the pics of the completed Didgeridoo-Bro & Steel
Attachments
This is the completed entry in the challenge. The 4' 8" hollow , triangular body was once the upright part of a Polaroid MP 3A Land Camera.
This is the completed entry in the challenge. The 4' 8" hollow , triangular body was once the upright part of a Polaroid MP 3A Land Camera.
The black part is the former camera holder, it now holds the Didgeridoo-Bro, provides a pivot and a easily changeable scale length. the base is a former computer table. Like everything in my shop it has wheels.
The black part is the former camera holder, it now holds the Didgeridoo-Bro, provides a pivot and a easily changeable scale length. the base is a former computer table. Like everything in my shop it has wheels.
Warren May

Post by Warren May »

That's a great "reclaimed" project. We'd all love to hear it.

Return to “The "Reclaimed Materials" Challenge (closed)”