How do you get a smooth finish on spruce?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Tommaso Poggi

How do you get a smooth finish on spruce?

Post by Tommaso Poggi »

I always have some trouble with this, i can get a nice lump and bump free surface with scrapers, but they cut the winter growth more than the summer one and i end up with that violin like texture, which can look good wit some finishes but doesn't allow me to get a super shiny one. if i try to go back at it with sandpaper i always end up making dips, expecially in the recurve because i have to sand with the grain, and i can't follow it's natural shape. how do you approach the final smoothing of your tops? am i missing something? is it just matter of being more experienced with how much you sand and where?
Alan Carruth

Re: How do you get a smooth finish on spruce?

Post by Alan Carruth »

I use a hard sponge sanding block, that is somewhat flexible but backs the paper up well. It takes off the raised early wood and the bumps but doesn't allow you to dive in and make a dip. I seldom use anything heavier than 180 grit sandpaper, and often just 220; I'm not trying to remove a lot of wood, just get it smooth. I got the block I use with a package of Micromesh years ago: I don't use that product any more, but the block is handy.
Christ Kacoyannakis

Re: How do you get a smooth finish on spruce?

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

I do the same as Alan, foam block. Places that sell auto body supplies will have foam blocks of different densities. I bought a few different ones, and cut them up to a smaller size. You can even shape them with sandpaper to fit various contours.

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”