X Bracing vs Parallel Bracing comparison

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Fernando Esteves

X Bracing vs Parallel Bracing comparison

Post by Fernando Esteves »

Hello!
I've read some descriptions of how would sound a X bracing and how would sound parallel.
But I've found so far 1 video comparing the tone of them... Does anybody has any sound comparative between them? I'm very interested to listen... I may be building an archtop next year and need to decide which road I may follow
cheers!
Amateur luthier from Brazil.
I'm here to learn!!!
Fernando Esteves

Re: X Bracing vs Parallel Bracing comparison

Thank you!
Last time I had check had only one, will listen
I'm here to learn!!!
Fernando Esteves

Very difficult! I like both in different parts...
Single string notes I prefer the X bracing, it's warmer and more alive, but the chords on bass strings I think are lacking a bit of definition
The Parallel bracings has the chords pretty defined, but the treble chords and notes are a bit dry and hollow...

Is there another method of bracings that I don't know? hahahahaha
I'm here to learn!!!
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

Kurt, thank you very much for posting those. I wish you had done that six months ago, I just closed the box on a 16 inch X braces archtop, altho what I really think it does is confirm my decision. We'll know more in a couple of months.....

Fernando, there were a couple of ladder braced guitars in the vids but I don't think of ladder bracing on archtop. Benedetto does discuss parallel vs X bracing, and some of my decision was based on his comments.
Fernando Esteves

Freeman Keller wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:52 pm Kurt, thank you very much for posting those. I wish you had done that six months ago, I just closed the box on a 16 inch X braces archtop, altho what I really think it does is confirm my decision. We'll know more in a couple of months.....

Fernando, there were a couple of ladder braced guitars in the vids but I don't think of ladder bracing on archtop. Benedetto does discuss parallel vs X bracing, and some of my decision was based on his comments.
Yeah, I saw the ladder, but didn't like... IIRC thought a bit lacking character, bland...
Really in doubt what I do:
17" body
Mahogany B/S
Adirondack Spruce top
24.75" scale

It's intented to blues and rock, I'm not found in Jazz... I was planning parallel, but I found it a bit stiff in some videos. The X bracing sounded too fat and not very defined in some, but very good in others (like the one in cherry burst, perfect guitar)
I'm here to learn!!!
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

I was fortunate to find a source for 16 inch non cutaway laminated backs and sides so I decided to build something inspired by the Gibson L-5. I debated X vs parallel bracing and decided that I don't need projection but would rather have the warm that I think I hear in X bracing. Benedetto does talk about carving the top differently for X vs parallel braces, I followed his advice.

I've also been doing some audio spectrums as I carved the top - I have no idea what its telling me but it is kind of interesting.

I've been doing a build thread at another forum if you are interested

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/lets-buil ... p.1085372/
Fernando Esteves

Cool!
The one I mentioned wasn't on your list, it's this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-oJzQ2YMFE

I think I've settled for parallel, I don't like guitar jazz, I'm much more into blues e rock
I'm here to learn!!!
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

I'd have responded earlier, but I've only made one 'parallel' braced archtop, agaiinst a fair number of X braced ones, so it's a little hard for me to compare. That one was inspired by a Loar L-5 thaty I got a chance to look at, and make some acoustic measurements of, a few years back. One measurement I didn't make, and should have, was the lower bout width: I went ahead with my normal 17" shape, and found later it should have been 16" across. It's not a direct copy, of course: I'm not much at copying, but I did stay more or less with the general type of long arch and graduation scheme.

The customer has been very happy with it. His interest is in 20's-30's vintage acoustic jazz; this one doesn't have a pickup, or a cutaway. I suspect it would work well enough for Blues, though. Sadly, we were unable to get it together with the original for a direct comparison; politics got in the way, believe it or not.
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

Here is the L5 inspired guitar that I'm currently building
IMG_7073-1.jpg
No idea what its going to sound like......
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

The original Loar had 'parallel' braces, and the holes were much narrower. The smaller hole area produces a lower 'air' resonant pitch, and shifts the timbre and sustain more toward a normal flat-top that we're used to with archtops these days.
Fernando Esteves

THanks guys!
So, do you think if I do small Fholes it may sound towards this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8yL1ufcZhY

That is one the best acoustics I've ever heard! (of course will be different because a bigger body, nobody has this mold, usually Benedetto only)
Thanks
I'm here to learn!!!
Fernando Esteves

Perhaps more like this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovh6bGhQxMQ
(really like this shape!)
I'm here to learn!!!
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

The first Epi is probably a plywood top and he is only playing on the treble strings so it is hard to hear what it really sounds like. The second Epi is more like a real guitar, but it is an old guitar which may be a large factor in what it sounds like. I suggest that you not get too hung up on what bracing pattern to use. There are a lot of other factors and hurdles in building a decent archtop. You could build one of each and decide what you like best.
MIMF Staff
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

There is a sequence on carving the plates for that Loar sorta-copy, in the thread on 'maple plate carving' in this forum. You can see the penciled outlines of the F-holes I cut in one shot.
Fernando Esteves

Thanks! Way smaller than later Gibby... I like this better...

It would be the ideal, Barry, but I've got no workshop and I'm not able to build an acoustic by my own yet, the rent of a workshop or paying tuition for archtop classes is really expensive and rare, archtops are not common here... And materials are very expensive, would need to wait to buy a new top in US$...

I'm probably going for parallel because it may have a more aggressive sound, but I've lot of time before get in the bracing part... The teacher told me talk with him again in January to see if he is really going to give classes again...

Thanks for all the input, guys
I'm here to learn!!!

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”