Do I need a body mold?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Peter Wilcox

Re: Do I need a body mold?

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Finally got this done. Had to correct a few miscalculations, but it came out OK. Doesn't sound any better than any other normal sized acoustic bass guitar I've heard, except a guitarron. It was a good learning experience, and now I have an acoustic bass that's easy to haul around (bought a cello gig bag for it.) Haven't tried it plugged in yet (JJB underbridge pickup.)
archtop-top-done.jpg
archtop-back-done.jpg
pblique-done.jpg
hardstock.jpg
tailpiece-and-bridge.jpg
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

BTW, this instrument's saga starts in this thread: https://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=63769#p63769
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Allyson Brown

Post by Allyson Brown »

Alan Carruth wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:34 pm The problem with an inside mold on a guitar is holding the waist in. Fleta came in from violin making, and was used to it, but on a violin the 'c' bouts are held in by the corner blocks. You push the ribs in against the mold as you glue them to the blocks. When I made 'peanut' shaped fiddles I used a couple of wood side reinforcements above and below the waist to hold the sides in; corner blocks without the corners. I don't know what Fleta did.
The use of corner blocks in violins to secure the 'c' bouts during the gluing process is a clever technique.
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

That looks great Peter.
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

I like that headstock, and the trademark coin inlay. Nice work!
Kaptain Karl

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”