Aligning mounting holes?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Kirk Dickinson

Aligning mounting holes?

Post by Kirk Dickinson »

I have a roasted maple Warmoth neck on order and am going to build the body myself. When I ordered, I checked the option for "Standard 4 bolt" mounting holes. Just got to thinking... how do I get those holes from the body to perfectly align with the mounting holes in the neck? I was thinking that I could cut a paper template that fits over the heel of the neck and mark the holes, then put the paper in the pocket and transfer the location.

Is there a better way?

What is the thinking about using threaded inserts instead of screws? I have heard that the roasted maple is a little bit brittle and thought maybe inserts might be a better way to do it?

Thanks
Barry Daniels

Re: Aligning mounting holes?

Post by Barry Daniels »

Take some finishing nails that fit the neck holes snugly but small enough that you can pull them out easily. Cut the heads off so that the nail is short enough that they will stick out of the holes about 1/16". Place them in the holes, pointed side out, and set the neck in place. Make sure the neck is in-line with the center line of the body. Press the neck down so the nails mark the body. Bob's your uncle.
MIMF Staff
Kirk Dickinson

Post by Kirk Dickinson »

Barry Daniels wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:43 pm Take some finishing nails that fit the neck holes snugly but small enough that you can pull them out easily. Cut the heads off so that the nail is short enough that they will stick out of the holes about 1/16". Place them in the holes, pointed side out, and set the neck in place. Make sure the neck is in-line with the center line of the body. Press the neck down so the nails mark the body. Bob's your uncle.
Thanks, this sounds way easier and faster than any idea that I had. :)

PS... Who is Bob?
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

It takes a bit of work, but it is very accurate.
MIMF Staff

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”