Spoke wheel Truss rod

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Fernando Esteves

Spoke wheel Truss rod

Post by Fernando Esteves »

Hello!
Once I asked Warmoth about a neck with scarf joint and their side adjusting TR. The answer was that they thought that the pressure point on the scarf while adjusting was not a good idea and they wouldn't do.

Recently, the spoke wheel thing became a hype and I saw them in some scarf joint guitars... Today I went to investigate it: Some are laminated necks without scarf, but some guitars have scarf joint and the spoke wheel at the bottom of the neck. (you can see it at Jackson Guitars)

I was wondering: what is your opinion on it? Always thought about doing a bottom adjustment guitar, but what Warmoth said made me cautions about it
Cheers
Amateur luthier from Brazil.
I'm here to learn!!!
Barry Daniels

Re: Spoke wheel Truss rod

Post by Barry Daniels »

I can't see why it wouldn't work on a scarf jointed neck. Warmoth was using that as an excuse.

I like spoke wheels because they adjust easily, as well as the obvious advantage of not requiring the neck to be removed from the body.
MIMF Staff
Fernando Esteves

Barry Daniels wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:14 pm I can't see why it wouldn't work on a scarf jointed neck. Warmoth was using that as an excuse.

I like spoke wheels because they adjust easily, as well as the obvious advantage of not requiring the neck to be removed from the body.
From what I understand, their fear was to the scarf joint start to separate due to pressure of the end point of truss rod
I'm here to learn!!!
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I don't think that is a legitimate concern. I've never had a scarf joint affected by a truss rod.
MIMF Staff
Frank Dryer III

Post by Frank Dryer III »

Is it technicly possible?
Fernando Esteves

Frank Dryer III wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:55 am Is it technicly possible?
Yes, Jackson does
I'm here to learn!!!

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”