This book was fun

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Sawyer

This book was fun

Post by Steve Sawyer »

The LOML went on a short road-trip with a friend last weekend to the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame & Museum in Cleveland, and brought back a couple of guitar books for me.

I read about halfway through Guitars That Jam: Portraits of The World's Most Storied Rock Guitars the first night I had it.

I think the title is a bit of hyperbole, 'cause I'm sure we could all point out guitars that could fit that description but aren't included. There were also some artists showcased that I wouldn't know from my aunt Sally. That said though, each guitar is pictured, shown on stage with the owner and in most cases is accompanied by the owner's story about why they love the guitar, how they came to own it etc. etc. (some, like Willie Nelson's nylon-stringed classical guitar are described by someone other than Mr. Nelson)

Some are custom-made for the guitarist, some are off-the-shelf, some modified stock guitars. What I found particularly interesting is hearing each owner's description about the guitar's tone, or feel or combination of both that makes it special to them. The take-away for me is that the thing that will grab a guitarist and make them say "I have to have THAT guitar!" is something extremely subjective. For any given well-made guitar, some will pick it up and say "Meh", someone else will pick it up and say "Where have you been all my life?"

As is to be expected, seeing some of the custom guitars and their design and details is inspirational. One in particular encouraged me to sit down and make a few sketches that incorporated a simple but unique design idea that I think is worth exploring.

Definitely worth the $6.28 (in hardcover no less) that it will set you back on Amazon.
==Steve==

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”