Double Neck!

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Fernando Esteves

Double Neck!

Post by Fernando Esteves »

Hello!
I'm in negociation to build a double neck guitar+bass.
Does anybody here build a double neck before?
What is the optimum distance from neck to neck?
Cheers
Amateur luthier from Brazil.
I'm here to learn!!!
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: Double Neck!

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Hi Fernando,
You might find some useful info in our libraries, check out:

https://www.mimf.com/nl-ksearch/ksearch ... y=50&all=1

and

https://www.mimf.com/ksearch/ksearch.cg ... y=50&all=1
Fernando Esteves

Thanks
I'm here to learn!!!
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

Fernando, I built a double neck 6/12 string electric guitar for my son. It was patterned roughly on the iconic Gibson EDS1275 (the Stairway guitar). The neck centerlines are 6 inches at the body joint, but following an idea from a BC Rich double neck they splay out slightly so there is a little more room at the head.
IMG_6257-1.jpg
IMG_6260-1.jpg
IMG_6263-1.jpg
I have a lot of thoughts about this and other double necks that I looked at while building it that I would be happy to share.
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

Here is the Gibson 6/12 that I had on my bench. It uses full size tuners on both necks, I was able to use smaller ones on the 12 which significantly lightens the head. Its still darn heavy
IMG_5850-1.jpg
Fernando Esteves

Thank you!
Yes, weight is a big concern. One of the necks is going to be bass, so I already said lightweight tuners is a MUST.

My main doubt is the distance between each neck at the body joint. It have to be small or the body will be a mile wide, but need to have enough distance to be playable
I'm here to learn!!!
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

Fernando Esteves wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:59 pm Thank you!
Yes, weight is a big concern. One of the necks is going to be bass, so I already said lightweight tuners is a MUST.

My main doubt is the distance between each neck at the body joint. It have to be small or the body will be a mile wide, but need to have enough distance to be playable
As I said, the sort of standard (if there is one) is the Gibson EDS and the centerlines of the necks are 6 inches and parallel. The BC Rich double neck has the neck splayed out at an angle (I don't know the separation), I did that very slightly with mine.

One of my cardinal rules is to build a guitar to fit an available case if possible. Mine just fits an EDS case. Chamber the heck out of it, push the necks as far into the body as you can, consider short scale and light weight tuners. Get a set of the EDS plans and modify them to fit your needs. I'm also going to suggest making sure your customer really wants this thing - I sure wouldn't
Fernando Esteves

Hahahahaha me neither!
Thank you!
I'm here to learn!!!

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”