Stella 12 String (Leadbelly) plans

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Chris Paulick

Stella 12 String (Leadbelly) plans

Post by Chris Paulick »

I’m looking for a set of plans or even just a body tracing.
I found a drawing with measurements on line . So a body tracing would be nice to have. I could work out the rest.
Anyone know where I might find one ?
Marshall Dixon

Re: Stella 12 String (Leadbelly) plans

Post by Marshall Dixon »

Chris Paulick wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:04 pm I’m looking for a set of plans or even just a body tracing.
I found a drawing with measurements on line . So a body tracing would be nice to have. I could work out the rest.
Anyone know where I might find one ?
Try getting in touch with Neil Harp. He bills himself as the Stella Guitarcheologist. I've got the book he wrote on the subject. He's a luthier. No plans on his website but he may know of some. Search for stella guitars and his site comes right up with contact info. I've asked him questions in the past and he was very helpful.
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

I have a scan of the hand drawn plans for Stefan Grossman's Stella and could send that to you. It is 26-5/8 scale, I think Leadbelly's was 27. Several people have build reproductions of Leadbelly's, including Todd Cambio and a couple of folks who hang out at OLF. There was a good article in Fretboard Journal by Todd on how he built his.

When I built mine I didn't necessarily want to clone Leadbelly's, so I just made a ladder braced 000 and put a long scale (26.5) neck on it. I don't tune quite as low as he did (usually C) and my string gauges aren't quite as heavy.

One of the big problems with cloning Leadbelly's guitar is fabricating the tailpiece. I used one of NRP's for their 12 string resonator - it works but is not the same.
IMG_2008-1.jpg
Chris Paulick

Post by Chris Paulick »

I have a screen shot of the Stefan Grossman Stella also. I sent an email to Todd also. I haven’t been over at OLF for awhile or here as a matter of fact. Not sure if I remember my password. Took me a few tries to get online here too.😀
But the Grossman drawing is pretty good. Looks like it is on tablet paper. That’s why I am looking for a body tracing . But Neil sent me a scaled drawing of the body that I may be able to scale up to size if need be or I also could maybe scale up a picture also. But would be much easier to have a trace.
If I build it to the same specs as original remains to be seen. One day at a time, I’m in no hurry. I’m just getting prepared.
Nice guitar you built there.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”