The Tree Quilted Mahogany

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Dave Gentner

The Tree Quilted Mahogany

Post by Dave Gentner »

Does anybody know anything about the guy selling sets of quilted mahogany on thetreeguitarsets.com? They're beautiful, but are they legit? I built a guitar with a set from the tree that I got from RC several years ago. Great sounding guitar, the densest mahogany I've ever worked with.
Clay Schaeffer

Re: The Tree Quilted Mahogany

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

As the Bard might say - Would "The Tree" be a tree by any other name? There was a lot of variation in the wood from that tree, and I'm sure there were a lot of trees with similar wood. If you can't tell does it matter?
Dave Gentner

Post by Dave Gentner »

Yes, it matters. As I said above I built a guitar with wood from "the tree". Aside from its beauty I was amazed at the density and hardness of the wood. The guitar had a depth of sound much greater than any mahogany, quilted or otherwise, I've worked with in the past.
Bob Orr

Post by Bob Orr »

Dave Gentner wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:44 am Yes, it matters. As I said above I built a guitar with wood from "the tree". Aside from its beauty I was amazed at the density and hardness of the wood. The guitar had a depth of sound much greater than any mahogany, quilted or otherwise, I've worked with in the past.
No guarantee it would sound the same even if from the same tree. There are so many variables in what produces tone that it is difficult to say what the back and sides contribute to a particular tone. Also wood is very variable even from the same batch, it is not a homogeneous material. Keep in mind that 90% of the tone comes from the top and how it is braced. Yes back and sides will contribute some colour to that tone but it is not the dominant factor in tone production.

"The Tree" is getting to be like the true cross fragments. If you put them all back together you would have a forest.
Doug Shaker

Post by Doug Shaker »

Jay Howlett is the guy I know that sells The Tree wood and he knows his stuff.
-Doug Shaker
Ray Boyda

Post by Ray Boyda »

Dave Gentner wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:09 pm Does anybody know anything about the guy selling sets of quilted mahogany on thetreeguitarsets.com? They're beautiful, but are they legit? I built a guitar with a set from the tree that I got from RC several years ago. Great sounding guitar, the densest mahogany I've ever worked with.
These are legitimate sets of The Tree. The boards were purchased from a woodworker who purchased them 40 years ago. This is the real deal.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”