Drill Jig For Truss Rod Access Hole Gibson Style Headstock.

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Drill Jig For Truss Rod Access Hole Gibson Style Headstock.

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

I have enlarged the adjustment end with chisels and gouges in the past. I was about to buy a jig when the supplier ran out of them. How do you make an access hole for headstock adjustment? With a two way truss rod, it is really unnecessary to enlarge that end of the routed truss rod channel, so ...am I making more work? Can I just leave the channel square?
Barry Daniels

Re: Drill Jig For Truss Rod Access Hole Gibson Style Headstock.

Post by Barry Daniels »

Yeah, don't cut away any more wood than necessary. This is a spot that you don't want to weaken anymore than necessary.
MIMF Staff
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

I route truss rod channels on a little router table before the head plate is glued on. After I've run the slot I bump the bit up a few thousands and bump the fence back a few thousands (precise, aren't I) and hit the end of the channel where the adjuster sits (I only use dual acting LMII rods but I would do the same if it was any other kind). The head plate gets drilled for access and I clean that up with a rasp.

I also make scarf joined head and thing they are a lot stronger than cut ones but I still make the access as small as I can.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

Yeah, it's been four years since I've made a steel string guitar. Thanks. One of two I'm making now adjust from inside. They're Martin 000 and Gibson J-45 copies.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”