Recommendations sought: pick-up for an acoustic bass

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Doug Shaker

Recommendations sought: pick-up for an acoustic bass

Post by Doug Shaker »

I have a Fender acoustic bass guitar. It sounds great, but it is kind of quiet. It has some no-name piezo pickup, but the preamp has died.
I thought about taking it down to my local guitar store and having them replace the pickup, but then I thought, what the heck, I'm a luthier, I should do it myself.

So now I'm looking for recommendations for an acoustic bass guitar pickup system. Yes, I know about the Fishmans, but I'm hoping for something a bit less expensive.

Any ideas?

Doug Shaker
-Doug Shaker
Bob Gramann

Re: Recommendations sought: pick-up for an acoustic bass

Post by Bob Gramann »

The K&K acoustic bass pickup works pretty well. It’s simple. No electronics in the box. Couldn’t be easier.
Peter Wilcox

Re: Recommendations sought: pick-up for an acoustic bass

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I put a JJB Prestige-330 with 20mm transducers into this archtop bass guitar. I have nothing similar pickup or guitar-wise to compare, but it seems to work OK into the bass amp input (adequate volume and tone control) with no external preamp. Online fora seem to say it's comparable to the K&K, and for $50 it works for me.
Attachments
pickup.jpg
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”