Board index additions

Talk with the MIMForum staff! This is the section for discussing the workings of this forum. Your suggestions always welcome!
Bob Gleason

Board index additions

Post by Bob Gleason »

Some years ago, after meeting Mark Swanson and Amy Hopkins, I participated in the MIMF a fair amount. Over the years my guitar building became more ukulele building and I drifted off to ukulele oriented groups.The main ukulele group seems to be the Ukulele Underground, and it is undergoing some stressful changes. At least stressful to many of us older members who post there. I recently saw a posting on the UU that the MIMF might start a separate ukulele thread. Just wondering if that is true, possible, impossible, or what. Hope you all stay safe.-Bob Gleason/Pegasus Guitars & Ukuleles
Bryan Bear

Re: Board index additions

Post by Bryan Bear »

I know there is an "other stringed instruments" section where ukes and mandos (among other things) would typically go to. I have no official capacity but I could see how an ukulele section could be beneficial if there is a ready made population of makers looking for a place to go. It would be nice to get an infusion of new posters and content here. I'm not really that into ukes but I think the community benefits when traffic is high.

Just my thoughts.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I suppose silence is the answer to my question. In these times that would be expected. No one needs extra work right now. Everyone take care, be safe, and enjoy your building.-Bob
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Been thinking about it Bob. We could add sub-forums under the "other stringed instruments" section for ukes if there were enough interest. E.g., if you look at the Board index, you'll see a "Builders groups" sub-forum listed under "Jam Session".
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Charlie- Thanks. I guess deciding what , where, or if to do a uke group depends on the philosophy of the MIMF. You could tuck it away in the "Builder's Groups" and minimize input or start an actual group in the Board Index and maybe get more input than you want. Like I said before, this may not be the right time to create more work for anyone. Your time and work is appreciated. Stay safe!-Bob
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

The "Builders Groups" reference was only to show how a sub-forum looks at the board index level. If we were to create a sub-forum, it would be under "Other stringed instruments". A forum level "Ukes" would show up in the main index of course.

The main reason for the current index (IIRC) was to keep all the forums visible on one page (i.e., not have to scroll). And that was mainly (I think) to make it easy on dial-up users (where screen refreshes were time consuming). Note that I've already broken the one page rule a bit [whap].

The other concern is that the main index could grow quite a bit (e.g. new forums for banjos, dulcimers, classical guitars, etc.). Comments??
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Charlie- I see your point about the index growing if you had to give each instrument equal time. From the outside looking in I don't think about issues like that, but I clearly see your point. The MIMF looks like it is doing great as is. Maybe good things are best left alone. Thanks for your work.-Aloha, Bob
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

We'll try it. I've added a ukes section and will try to move old uke discussions to it.
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

It's set up and I've move all the uke posts over. Unfortunately they show up as "unread" even though they are read (and old). If you see any I missed, please let me know.
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Sounds good enough. Thanks again for your work, Charlie.
Kaptain Karl
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Thanks Charlie

Return to “The Soundhole”