Stew-Mac Issues

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Barry Daniels

Stew-Mac Issues

Post by Barry Daniels »

I have been reading on another forum that there are really serious issues with Stew-Mac's customer service. They were apparently bought out by a private equity firm and have made some "changes". Orders are getting sent out with missing, broken, and incorrect items. There is no way to contact customer service other than using Instagram messenger. They no longer answer the phone or email. This causes me a lot of concern. I have been a frequent customer for years. However, I won't be buying from them again if there are any other options. Anyone here had any problems with them in the last few weeks, or had a successful order fulfillment?
MIMF Staff
Bob Gramann

Re: Stew-Mac Issues

Post by Bob Gramann »

I’ve made orders in January(2), March, July, and August(2). All were quickly delivered and were correct. I didn’t like the tool I received in August and contacted them via their web form to get a return label. The reply took three days, but they gave me a label and quickly refunded me for the tool. I am a StewMax member—that way, when I need something, I can just order it without having to keep a list to accumulate an order big enough to make the shipping worthwhile. Sometimes, I’ll use them when they’re not the cheapest source because they are quick. Once, a couple of years ago, they sent me the wrong item. They told me to keep it and sent the right one immediately. While there are less expensive sources for many of their items, sometimes I feel that the StewMac price is worth the convenience. I also appreciate them vetting the tools. I would much rather have something that works than a cheap knockoff. I buy from many different vendors selecting according to what I need or want. Sometimes, StewMac is the right vendor for what I need. So far, they have done right by me.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

My orders have been fine too, but it sounds like the issues have occurred in the last 2 to 3 weeks.
MIMF Staff
Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon »

In bought some "low profile" truss rods with my last order (over $600), which I didn't like. I emailed and got an initial reply within a reasonable time, but am now waiting over a week for their follow up.

I read about the takeover and wonder if they are in a decline in service. Squeezing the last bit of profit to the detriment of what made the company profitable.

I could have purchased everything elsewhere.
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

Has there been another change of hands? I was aware of the purchase of StewMac by a finance group around the end if 2015 or the beginning of 2016. One of the new executives walked around and talked to many of us at Woodstock that year promising to keep everything we valued and add more products. They did that. The products offered seemed to include more electric stuff and more cheap electric stuff. That didn’t bother me—I didn’t have to buy it. Until the phone number went offline recently, I saw no change in the service. I hate filling out web forms instead of writing an email, but if it works, I will do it.

Until we were all vaccinated, I made my customers meet with me in the open garage with masks. If StewMac had to change their office practices to keep safe, I will do what I can to work with that. It’s not the end of the world, yet.

Return to “Jam Session”