Building instruments, while having young kids

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Matthew Lau

Building instruments, while having young kids

Post by Matthew Lau »

Sooooo,

I'm expecting my first kid in July.
I've heard from a lot of capable people to give up any hobbies for at least 3 years.
However, my wife (enabler-in-chief) has been prompting me about building that guitar I promised...and allowed me free reign on wood, tools, etc.

Anyone build instruments while still having young kids?
I was gonna just get the jigs premade, get the neck and bridge premade, and try to make life as easy as possible without being too generic on the build.

-Matt
Bryan Bear

Re: Building instruments, while having young kids

Post by Bryan Bear »

I would not say you need to give up hobbies for 3 years, but they will slow WAY down. Both because of logistics/time but also your priorities will shift during those years.

Also "try to make life as easy as possible" does not really go with having a newborn or toddler. Even the most mundane daily tasks seem to become increasingly complicated. All in a good way though, congrats!
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Any tips?

I'm planning to have a series of "Go bags" for kiddos: diaper fanny pack; diaper backpack, etc.
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Not tips as such: so many of the little time savers and patience savers happened on the fly. But I will say I needed to learn to be a more patient guy. I also realized how much shopwork (and gigging) did for my mental health. Making time to recharge that way saved me and my family a lot of heartache.
Kaptain Karl
Eric Crawford

Post by Eric Crawford »

If you are like me, you may have to learn to work on one thing at a time, and to put your stuff away, especially sharp, fragile, sticky, or small stuff away between uses.
The first six months are a learning period for you as the new one increases In mobility and curiosity. Perceptions will change.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Too many tips to mention, you'll pick them up as you go from lots of people. I'll mention one though. Count your baby bottles. Know how many you have. Every night when you wash them, make sure you have them all. It is easy to lose track of one when things get hectic, and there is poop everywhere, and you are late, and. . . You don't want to end up finding one a week later under the couch or in the back of the car. Not a great smell.

Edit: Also good advice for every new dad. Don't use the term "babysit" when you have your own kid and mom is away.
PMoMC

Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

All sound advice.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Great tips.

What should I call it though, when I'm chilling with the kid?
I'm thinking of just strapping in the kid and going dog walking...or strapping the doggo to the stroller
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

You don't call it anything. That is just being a dad. When a guy says he is babysitting (when talking about his own kids) he implies that he feels like that is not really his job and he is doing something nice for his wife.
PMoMC

Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Bryan Bear wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:39 am You don't call it anything. That is just being a dad. When a guy says he is babysitting (when talking about his own kids) he implies that he feels like that is not really his job and he is doing something nice for his wife.
What Brian said.

-Eric
Eric Crawford

Post by Eric Crawford »

Yep
A slip of the tongue can get you in a bit of trouble, just forget that word unless you are paying a neighborhood kid for a specific time.
You are just hanging out with your kid.
You will be providing care when needed, and comic relief always.
Now is the time to work on silly faces and your dad jokes. Put away any false pride or shame or whatever and just roll with it and make if fun for the both of you.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

Rockler offers a nice apron plane and a Bedrock style #1. It's never too early.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

Whoops, I meant a Bailey Style #1 hand plane. I was fortunate to start woodworking and auto mechanics early in life.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Okay, kiddo is safely out. July 12th. 4 am

Now I understand what you'all mean.... Holding my kid at night, as I'm trying to get him to sleep is special.
Being able to be around him as he's trying to hold his head up is something special.

I think I'll just build. I may have him strapped to me, or toddling around...but honestly, life just goes on.
I'll just make it happen....and maybe get him into making a few instruments too
The kiddo comes first, and everything else sorta fits around that.

Sorry for the dumb question.
The pre-dad me had no idea about how life changing it is to have a kid.

I'll just make it work.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Bryan Bear wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:39 am You don't call it anything. That is just being a dad. When a guy says he is babysitting (when talking about his own kids) he implies that he feels like that is not really his job and he is doing something nice for his wife.
Harsh, but spot on.

In my defense, I had no idea how special it is to hold your own kid.
This is super humbling. It's like the kid is a blank canvas, trusting, staring into your soul.

I'm gonna do my damnedest to be a great dad.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Congratulations.
MIMF Staff
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Congratulations! And, cut yourself some slack. Absolutely no one understands the extent of how your life and soul change until they experience it. I'm very happy for the three of you!
PMoMC

Matthew Lau

Involving/teaching young kids while building instruments?

Post by Matthew Lau »

Oooooh!
Sorry. Lack of sleep.

My original question was the wrong one.
Can I change it to "How do I build instruments *with* kids (to stimulate their interest in learning)?"

I'd read a book, "how to make and play cardboard instruments."
It went over very simple instruments (cardboard banjo, cardboard harp, cardboard kazoo-flute), physics and lessons, music theory, and how to play the instruments.
https://www.amazon.com/Cool-Cardboard-I ... 1895569621

I was wondering if other MIMFers have gotten their kids interested in building instruments, etc.
Just trying to get ideas before my son learns how to crawl.
Lincoln Goertzen

Post by Lincoln Goertzen »

How to get them interested? By doing things with them. Go for walks. Point out the difference between conifers and deciduous trees. Show them rocks. The jagged ones, the layered ones, the sparkly ones… Show them that you are interested in *them*, not just dictating what their interests are going to be. Include them in your projects. Plan on their “help” taking 5 times longer than your doing it yourself.

Show them how to use tools. Maybe don’t start with hammers and chisels. I had a wooden workbench with a 2x4 front that I would put a variety of wood screws in, all different lengths. Then I would give my 3 or 4 year old son a screwdriver. He would amuse himself for an incredibly long time. If he got a screw out, I’d put it back in. It was about spending time together. And developing fine motor skills.

My son is now 14. He wants to build knives and to forge his own sword out of bronze. Maybe woodworking wasn’t going to be the most suitable activity for his character type, but there will always be things that we can enjoy together. My other four children have completely different interests. We enjoy those, too.

Rather a rambling message. My point is that you shouldn’t put too much stress on yourself or your child(ren) to make certain interests happen. They are their own little creatures, and getting to know them is an incredible gift.

I hope this helps. I think you’re already doing a great job in being intentional and conscientious about investing in your son’s life.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

That's super helpful.

I'm really excited to share the world with this kiddo.
Currently, he just does big poops and cries a lot....but when he smiles, it warms my cold heart.

Return to “Jam Session”