"Real" Acetone

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Mike Perez

"Real" Acetone

Post by Mike Perez »

Hello,
I'm in California. Because of that, most finishes and chemicals are not always what they claim to be. Solvents and thinners called one thing in Arizona are not the same in California. One example is mineral spirits. What is sold in stores is a milky white liquid that isn't close to usable mineral spirits. In California, everything needs to be "modified." Same name, same label, but not the same products. I wanted to know if acetone is different or can acetone only be real acetone? I've been told acetone in California will not work as it's not the same as "real" acetone. If I want true acetone, it will need to be acetone sold years ago, get acetone from the nail industry or buy it from Amazon and have it shipped in.
Thank you.
Peter Wilcox

Re: "Real" Acetone

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I don't know the answer - the last gallon of acetone I bought (here in CA) was several years ago, and it is real acetone, at least by smell and other properties, as far as I can tell. Apparently I can't get naphtha here any more, and I haven't bought any lacquer thinner lately - hope it's still available. I did buy "mineral spirits" about 10 years ago that was that useless milky white stuff, but subsequently have bought the real thing. The white stuff says "odorless" and "safer technology" on the label - they neglected to add "this is cra*."
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it

Return to “Glues and Finishes”