Favorite Fretboard Treatment?

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Eric Knapp

Favorite Fretboard Treatment?

Post by Eric Knapp »

Hi, all.

What is everyone’s favorite way to treat/finish an ebony fretboard? My first guitar is getting close and this is coming up soon.

Thanks,

-Eric
Barry Daniels

Re: Favorite Fretboard Treatment?

Post by Barry Daniels »

Eric, I think I am in the minority on this, but I like wax. The recipe is sanding the ebony up to 600 grit wet or dry, turn the sandpaper over and buff the board with the back of the sandpaper, and then hit it with some Tre-Wax, which is a carnauba paste wax for hardwood floors.
MIMF Staff
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I use woodwind bore oil when I want to pay more for mineral oil in a small convenient bottle. I have also used lemon oil and beeswax when I want to use mineral oil that smells nice and takes a little bit of a shine. Mineral oil may reduce the tendency of ebony to dry out and crack, but not by much. It does help clean the grunge off well used fretboards. Using it sparingly at string changes is probably O.K. but most feel over oiling should be avoided.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

I use a little bit of raw walnut oil (salad oil I got at a health food store years ago). After I've leveled, rounded, and polished the frets I use a bit of the oil on a rag to clean up, and wipe up any excess.
Carl Dickinson

Post by Carl Dickinson »

Howard's Feed-N-Wax. A little goes a long way.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”