Cracked Corsair smooth plane

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Mike Perez

Cracked Corsair smooth plane

Post by Mike Perez »

Hello,
I have my dad's Corsair smooth plane from the 60's.
It looks like it has a cast iron base. There's a crack on the side next to the blade area. It's the thinnest area of the base.
I don't weld, but my buddy who does some basic welding said welding cast iron might cause it to be prone to further fracturing.
He recommended I use J-B Weld rather than a weld.
Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Mike
Darrel Friesen

Re: Cracked Corsair smooth plane

Post by Darrel Friesen »

Welding is possible if the right skilled guy is doing it. Brazing is easier for those not so skilled. JB weld works but is much less elegant and likely won't have the longevity.
JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

Can you post a picture of the crack?

Welding cast iron that thin is indeed a real tightrope walk... preheating, post heat and slow cooldown, etc.

I've seen some pretty amazing successes using JB Weld. Are the two sides of the crack sill aligned? If so, could you open the walls of the crack up on the inner (blade side) a bit to provide good bonding surfaces, and only apply the JBW from the inside so as to be less conspicuous? I'd follow the manufacturer's surface prep recommendations scrupulously and after the JBW sets use files followed by emery paper to get down to nice smooth surfaces inside and out, flush with the adjacent cast iron.
JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

Just found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sCSUuDzrdY
It would be interesting to know if this held up over time. That page also has a link to a good brazing repair video.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I would also vote for J.B.Weld. I have used it to repair pitted cast iron on several old tools, and it has held up just fine.-Bob
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

I have an old #5 Stanley plane that had been braised and then fettled square. It works well.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”