Do you ever just buy jigs? Feeling guilty, but swamped

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Matthew Lau

Do you ever just buy jigs? Feeling guilty, but swamped

Post by Matthew Lau »

Dear MIMF,

I feel guilty saying this, but I'm thinking of buying some ukulele molds for a trio of tenors I promised 6 years ago.
I'll get a spurt of energy, then get stuck on something.
Recently, my office has me crazy bonkers...but I'd like to get the "guilt monster" off my chest by Christmas.

Recently, it's the molds...since I can't get them *just* right.

I'm tempted to just buy some molds off Luthier's merchantile.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Karl Wicklund

Re: Do you ever just buy jigs? Feeling guilty, but swamped

Post by Karl Wicklund »

I know the feeling. The impulse to fix and build *everything* on our homestead haunts me. When I finally broke down and started taking my car to the shop for an oil change, it was freedom. *Could* you build the jig? Of course. How much less satisfying will it be to build on a bought jig? In my experience, way less than I fear.

Buy it, and if you keep feeling bad, nothing stops you from building another one, and reselling the built one.
Kaptain Karl
Dick Hutchings

Post by Dick Hutchings »

I don't have the time or money for all the cool tools but when I can, I much prefer to buy them. Even simple things I know I can build like the SM steaming hose and needle. Yeah I paid a lot for it but when it came time to use it it slipped right on my yard sale cappuccino maker and I only needed a pair of plyers to close the clamp and I was steaming a neck off just like that.
Dick Hutchings
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

If you like the shape of the LMI tenor uke, I see nothing wrong with buying the mold, especially if you are pressed for time. They look well thought out and reasonably priced.
Some time back someone gave me a number of wooden cigar boxes. I wanted to turn them into cheap and cheerful ukes. I found I could buy pre-carved necks, fretted fingerboards, and bridges, from China for less than I could buy the materials to make them. They required a small amount of modification and finish work but were fine for the type of instrument I was making.
I make molds and bending forms from scrap lumber I have available as a cost saving measure, but certainly wouldn't think less of those who buy them.
Attachments
cig box uke1.jpg
cig box uke 2.jpg
cig box uke 3.jpg
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

I just bought the molds.

For some reason, the knobs are sorta hard to turn....nylon lock nuts inside?
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Matthew,
If you find yourself pressed for time for completing the ukes, you might want to consider buying the necks and fingerboards off eBay. Although much of the work is done, enough is left to be done to make them your own design.
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

I have absolutely no qualms about buying useful stuff or components. What I don't have is enough cash to buy all the things I would like to. I also decided to clear out a bunch of guilt monsters this summer. All but one at a satisfactory level. I promised myself not to build anything else until I got the backlog completed. Broke that promise (but just one extra) and will clear the last guilt monster before I start any more.

Really all that is needed is one bridge to be completed and glued and then the french polish.However, I don't include FP in the guilt monster list so one bridge and I am free again. :-)

NO clue what the issue with holds could be, partly because I have no clue what kind of uke molds are available. My only uke was made from an ultra cheap chinese plywood kit where you just glue a few bits together. Great fun. Plan to build myself a tenor uke at some point - got as far as buying the tuners.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Just an update on the ukulele jigs....the LMI one is pretty darn nice!

I highly recommend getting it with the template....and thanks for the tips on the necks and fingerboards.
I'll probably go that route.
Chris Paulick

Post by Chris Paulick »

Nothing wrong with that. I build most jigs because I can’t afford some and out of necessity. Sometimes it’s fun to create some and I figure it helps to keep from getting demented. 😀
But building is a hobby and somewhat a passion for me. A lot to do with creativity and an artistic outlet in many ways.
I wouldn’t have a problem buying a kit either.
Heck, I haven’t built anything since I moved 6 years ago.
But I managed to buy a Gibson L00 (changed the tuners, pickguard and bridge pins and a little taper shaving on the end of the X braces) and last week bought a Martin CEO-7E and that’s just fine with me. Learning to play better is now my brain exercise.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Good to see you again Chris!
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”