Unisaw belts

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Karl Wicklund

Unisaw belts

Post by Karl Wicklund »

My school shop updated to a SawStop, and I bought the old Unisaw. It’s in good shape, but the belts are crumbling.

What is your preferred source for a matched set of three drive belts.
Kaptain Karl
Bob Gramann

Re: Unisaw belts

Post by Bob Gramann »

If it uses a standard v-belt, I’ve found these power twist belts to be worth the money. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/ ... ame=sp_atf

They run much quieter and smoother than a standard belt. Harbor Freight sells a cheaper knock-off. I’ve used those with no problems.
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Thanks Bob. It takes a matched set of three V-belts. I've read, but not verified, that the linked belts of that design will often stretch with enough variance that it causes problems. I'll take a look at those when I replace the drive on my joiner.

I've read all sorts of reviews and gotten advice from other woodworkers around my neighborhood, most of it contradictory. There are sets that run upwards of $60 that get mixed reviews, and sets for $12 that get mixed reviews. One guy near me just uses a single belt. Another guy spent $100 for set from some custom outfit.

MIMF folks are some of the most level-headed and knowledgeable folks I've met on the web, so I figured I'd ask here.
Kaptain Karl
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I have run my old Unisaw (or Unisaur as one person called their old saw) on one belt and it worked fine. I did eventually buy a new set of belts. The advantage of having "matched" belts seems to be that it with start and stop smoother and pass the nickel test more easily. For those who want to optimize their machinery's performance they might be a worth while investment.
The Unisaw I am using now has a replacement 1 1/2 hp farm duty motor and will make a full thickness cut without bogging down when using a reasonably sharp thin kerf blade. Some Unisaws have 3 and 5 hp motors and using three belts might be more necessary to transfer the power they can supply (I'm happy with a horse and a half).
You could buy a set of the cheap belts and see how they do for you.
Jim Ritter

Post by Jim Ritter »

I use the red Power twist belts on all my machines, even the Unisaw.
Jim
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Good to know, Jim. Thanks.
Kaptain Karl
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Well, this old workhorse is cleaned up and running. New belts, new switch and power cord, new blade, new inserts. As this space keeps coming into shape, I’m starting to have visions of a project NOT meaning two hours of clearing a space before I start.
Kaptain Karl
Jim Ritter

Post by Jim Ritter »

Good for you. What belts did you end up using on the saw?
Jim
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Jim, I went with Clay's advice, and just got a pair of cheap ones to start. They play at the same tension right now, and there's no vibration. The saw can balance a nickel at start up pretty easily.

We'll see how they hold up. I think the actual brand listed at Amazon was ChanTa or something like it. I'll check back in here in a few months with any updates.
Kaptain Karl

Return to “Tools and Jigs”