What Drum Sander?

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Eric Knapp

What Drum Sander?

Post by Eric Knapp »

Hello,

I’m considering getting a drum sander and I’m wondering what you all would select if you were getting one now. There don’t seem to be that many on the market. I’m thinking of a 16/32 size.

Thanks,

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Re: What Drum Sander?

Post by Eric Knapp »

Well, it turns out that if you want a drum sander in a reasonable amount of time you can’t be picky. They are hard to find and many aren’t even available on Amazon. I put my name on a future order of a SuperMax 16-32 at our local Woodcraft. I hope I get it this fall.

-Eric
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

Or look in our Library. Several members have build drum sanders before.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Keep an eye on Craigs List. They pop up from time to time. Took about a week of looking before mine showed up.
MIMF Staff
Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon »

Grizzly tools has a 10" and several 18" open end models "ready to ship." Don't know how they compare functionally or weather they come with the stand pictured, but 18" is in the price range to what you're considering.
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Jim McConkey wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:20 pm Or look in our Library. Several members have build drum sanders before.
I considered this and decided to buy this time. I make a lot of my own tools. I make try squares, depth gauges, circle cutters, marking gauges, panel gauges, and even hand planes. Making something as big as a drum sander would take me a fairly long time and I want to work on improving my guitar making skills more.

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Barry Daniels wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:18 am Keep an eye on Craigs List. They pop up from time to time. Took about a week of looking before mine showed up.
I guess I’m not being patient. I was mostly seeing smaller cheaper units or big industrial ones. Even the cheaper ones were expensive and I guess I don’t want a used one with other people’s issues built in. I’ve been saving for improving my shop and decided to buy new. The SuperMax seems like a good one.

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Marshall Dixon wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:42 pm Grizzly tools has a 10" and several 18" open end models "ready to ship." Don't know how they compare functionally or weather they come with the stand pictured, but 18" is in the price range to what you're considering.
Thanks, I did look at the Grizzlies and decided to go with SuperMax. I have other Laguna tools and they are good. The one I’m getting is also highly rated and well reviewed.

-Eric

Return to “Tools and Jigs”