Electrifying a Radius Dish Sander

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Paul Montgomery

Electrifying a Radius Dish Sander

Post by Paul Montgomery »

This is a luthier tool and I know it’s not for everyone, but I’m thinking that there might be some clever people here who just might find their own use for it.

https://youtu.be/nBMDt84rlCM

Barry Daniels

Re: Electrifying a Radius Dish Sander

Post by Barry Daniels »

I am doubtful that you could power a guitar sized radius dish with an electric drill. Also, that plastic friction disc would not be sufficient for a large spinning dish. I power my radius sander with a 1/3 hp electric motor and the dish runs on a large lazy susan bearing.
MIMF Staff

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon »

D07E354B-99AA-40D6-8ADB-D9BD225BF847.jpeg
Here's mine. Like Barry I use a 16" lazy susan bearing. Direct drive like you see used on a carnival ride. The motor is separate, mounted on a hinge and leans against the bottom plate with an 'O' ring on the drive collar that grabs the perimeter. The double thickness dished plate is interchangeable and locks in with center and edge dowels. It stows away nicely which is important in my small workspace.

Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

When my dryer caught fire and needed to be replaced I stole the 1/3 horsepower motor from it to make a motorized dish. I too use lazy susan bearings. I'm not sure if a drill motor would turn a large dish at a fast enough speed. the dryer motor seems be be just enough power, I wouldn't want any less.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”