43cm long soundboard

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Fernando Esteves

43cm long soundboard

Post by Fernando Esteves »

Hello!
I bought a nice Libanese Cedar top from a brazilian seller like 15 years ago. Today I was arranging things up and saw it and thought it was a bit small, I measure it and it's only 43.5cm long (17") by 22 cm wide (8.5"). I remember telling it was supposed to be to an acoustic guitar and I knew very little at the time, think he took advantage of it.

Does it fits any acoustic guitar or thing like that? So far I can only think Ukulele or Cavaquinho, perhaps even a one piece top. Even de Martin 0 size is bigger than thar (have the plan for 12 fret).

I don't want to loose it, it's good wood, perhaps I won't use it, but can find someone who would or even a good use for me.
Thanks
Amateur luthier from Brazil.
I'm here to learn!!!
Alan Carruth

Re: 43cm long soundboard

Post by Alan Carruth »

A quick look in Evans & Evans suggests that you're going to be looking at 'historical' instruments. There's a Stauffer 'Legnani' model with the box that length; the lower bout is 30 cm wide.
Fernando Esteves

The problem isn't the width, it's good for steel string, but it's shorter than any guitar I know
I'm here to learn!!!
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I made an Irish bouzouki for my first acoustic instrument, because the Douglas fir floorboard I resawed was too short and narrow for a guitar, so that's a possibility.
Here's the link:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1821
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Fernando Esteves

Very buildful! It's a cousin of bandolin, right? You nailed the soundhole size, it looks right in place with the body
I'm here to learn!!!
Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon »

That size would work for a requinto.
Fernando Esteves

Marshall Dixon wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:07 am That size would work for a requinto.
Nice!
I'm here to learn!!!

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”