Stabilized Wood

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Fernando Esteves

Stabilized Wood

Post by Fernando Esteves »

Hello!
I bought a couple of stabilized pieces from Larry Davis at Gallery Hardwoods some time ago and liked it.
I didn't talk with him for a while, but sometimes he was talking about retirement and I was wondering if I could find other resources if sometime I hit him and he is out of the game...
Does you guys use it? Know some suppliers?
Amateur luthier from Brazil.
I'm here to learn!!!
Christ Kacoyannakis

Re: Stabilized Wood

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

What are you using stabilized wood for (what part of the instrument). I would think the stabilization process would destroy the tonal quality of the wood. However, if you want a source, I have purchased stabilized knife blanks from Arizonaironwood.com. The owner is great - very accommodating, nice guy to deal with, and offers great stuff. Not sure he will have anything large enough to be used for anything bigger than a bridge, though. Best of luck.
Fernando Esteves

Re: Stabilized Wood

Post by Fernando Esteves »

Christ Kacoyannakis wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:34 pm What are you using stabilized wood for (what part of the instrument). I would think the stabilization process would destroy the tonal quality of the wood. However, if you want a source, I have purchased stabilized knife blanks from Arizonaironwood.com. The owner is great - very accommodating, nice guy to deal with, and offers great stuff. Not sure he will have anything large enough to be used for anything bigger than a bridge, though. Best of luck.
Hello! Fretboard is the goal!
In my experience, fretboards doesn't change the tone of the instrument and extra stability on the neck is always good
Amateur luthier from Brazil.
I'm here to learn!!!

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”