P90 bobbin material

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Fernando Esteves

P90 bobbin material

Post by Fernando Esteves »

I'm building a guitar for my nephews and am going to use a narrower bridge and nut width, thus pickup too.

I'm going to build a bobbin to the pickup maker because they are complaining a lot about it...

I'm thinking in wood, in my understand it won't change anything, as both plastic and wood are not magnetic.

Anybody has other point of view?
Amateur luthier from Brazil.
I'm here to learn!!!
JC Whitney

Re: P90 bobbin material

Post by JC Whitney »

If I read your question correctly, you’ll be giving the bobbin to someone else to use to wind custom pickups for you. Given how wide and flat P90 bobbins are, I would think that splitting/cracking might be a very real concern for the winder (especially at the corners). Perhaps consider a material less vulnerable to cracking/movement, and if you want a “wood look” veneer the upper surface?
Fernando Esteves

JC Whitney wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:34 am If I read your question correctly, you’ll be giving the bobbin to someone else to use to wind custom pickups for you. Given how wide and flat P90 bobbins are, I would think that splitting/cracking might be a very real concern for the winder (especially at the corners). Perhaps consider a material less vulnerable to cracking/movement, and if you want a “wood look” veneer the upper surface?
Thanks for the answer.
I thought wood because it's easier to make than plastic. It will have black covers, as usual.
I need a material to make the bobbins with narrower width and pretty much it, being easy to work is what matters
I'm here to learn!!!
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Absolutely no reason you can't use wood. Just get them sanded really smooth so the wire won't get hung up.
MIMF Staff
Fernando Esteves

Thank you!
I'm here to learn!!!

Return to “Electronics”