help trying to wire HH, 2 vol with split coil, 1 tone, 3 way level swicht

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Jose Arzuza

help trying to wire HH, 2 vol with split coil, 1 tone, 3 way level swicht

Post by Jose Arzuza »

Hi all, i will really appreciated the help with a current HH, 2 vol with split coil, 1 tone, 3 way level swicht build, i am a bit nooby with humcuker of 4 wires, all diagram that i have found show 5 cables, while my pickups have 4 (south + south - north + and north - (the south - and the north are together)) it also said that the the north + is hot, while the the south - is ground.
PICKUP.jpg
My questions, why the diagram of the seymor duncan show 5 cables, how i can solve this?
SEYMOR.jpeg
so i think that i have to conect the white south - and the red north to the middle imput of the split coils, and the yellow south + to the imput of the split coil (the one that is close to the pot ) and i will use the black north - as ground

is this correct? thanks
Attachments
DIAGRAM.jpeg
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Re: help trying to wire HH, 2 vol with split coil, 1 tone, 3 way level swicht

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

Jose, The 5th wire, which is bare (probably) is connected to the plate of the pickup and helps reduce noise. Is the first diagram the one that came with the pickups you are using? If so, it says that the black wire is already connected to the shield. That is the side of the pickup that should be connected to ground. The red and white are tied together and go to the switch (under a pot) that will cut a coil. In one position, the joined red and white wires will be connected to ground and only the South coil will be working. In the other position, the red and white (twisted together) won't be connected to anything (except each other) and you'll have a full humbucker.

1) Do you have a volt ohmmeter/continuity meter? It is invaluable for wiring.
2) Not all manufacturers use the same color coding
3) The Guitar electronics schematic has the coils being cut 2 different ways. This way, when the coils are cut and used together, they are humbucking (but in parallel).

I hope I haven't muddied things up too much.

Return to “Electronics”