Learning to build tube amps

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Michiel Wildenberg

Learning to build tube amps

Post by Michiel Wildenberg »

Hi all,

I'm searching for good books and kits to learn how to build, modify and eventually design my own ptp tube amps. I was thinking about ordering a simple kit of a 5F1 based amp for a start, but I don't want to just blindly follow a manual, I want to understand what i'm doing, what part does what.

I have a technical background but electronics are quite new to me. Until now I haven't done much more then wiring a DIY guitar.

Do you guys have suggestions on how to start this possibly new hobby?

Kind regards,
Michiel
Bob Gramann

Re: Learning to build tube amps

Post by Bob Gramann »

When I was a kid, back in the 60s, and built tube amps, I used the RCA Receiving Tube Manual. In the back, it had sample circuits for various functions. I could combine the sample circuits in stages to build what I needed. It’s a very useful book—and the circuits worked as promised.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Bob Gramann wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:59 am When I was a kid, back in the 60s, and built tube amps, I used the RCA Receiving Tube Manual. In the back, it had sample circuits for various functions. I could combine the sample circuits in stages to build what I needed. It’s a very useful book—and the circuits worked as promised.
I still have at least one copy of that, though haven't looked at it for years. I used my Allied Electronics catalog for transistor specs too.

I have this book
Design and Construction of Tube Guitar Amplifiers Robert Megantz
that starts off with fundamentals and progresses to design and construction, but I gave up on tube amps years ago.
You can find it on Amazon for $30.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

Yep, the Allied Electronics catalog was a good supplement to the tube manual. I spent a lot of time in that catalog. The postage for the mail order parts hurt. I didn’t have much money then.

Return to “Electronics”